- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-06-2019, 12:43 PM

Default AOA and Rear Seat Airdata Display

As part of my effort to update, refresh and update a lot of Vx-Aviation technology, I've had another go at AOA indicators.

My intention is to release the code entirely to the public domain, to run on standard hardware. The problem has been finding (or building) the hardware at a price that is attractive to the average homebuilder.

I have managed to source a low-cost of compute/display modules that will run the code (search M5stack).

So after a few days of work, I have ported my original V-Speed ADS code, plus the code that I used for my trim controller to extract airdata information from a G3X or SkyView serial data stream.

The photo below shows two modes: Rear Seat Airdata/AOA/Slip & Front Seat AOA/Slip. The mode is selected by the center button, the other two buttons control the screen brightness. The two red chevrons flash at high AOA.

The device is connected to a free serial port and 5V power (a bit of additional hardware required, to be described later). The EFIS port is configured and voila!

I would entertain constructive criticism on the screen layout, which is somewhat constrained by the hardware.

As for when the software will be available... Flight testing will be delayed by my travels, but sometime in the new year I hope to have a release. It's all brute-force C-code. Oh yeah (burying the lead) the module cost less than $30 from a number of sources!

No PM's please.
Cheers, Vern
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
Part of EAA award-winning OnSpeed team
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)

Last edited by vlittle : 11-06-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:32 PM

How big is the display?
Old 11-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Cool stuff Vern!

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 448.3 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsvitil View Post
How big is the display?
It's about 2" (50mm) diagonal. The case is 50mm on a side.

V
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 PM

I'm in! Looks great!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 11-07-2019, 08:25 PM

Hi Vern,

Excellent idea for a compact rear cockpit display! You might consider inverting the font size for data vs labels to help with “old man” eye syndrome

Our first generation tone generator used an inexpensive Arduino processor and worked well if the EFIS manufacturer’s AOA algorithm accurately captured enough of the aircraft curve AND was properly calibrated by the user. Since our objective is to provide accurate AOA and performance/energy cues in addition to progressive stall warning we’ve been experimenting with our own hardware. We still capture EFIS data with our current design. We are a non-profit, volunteer open source group and share all of our code and designs. We are currently building 25 units for beta test and would be happy to collaborate or share lessons learned if you’re interested—this would an excellent visual display component for non-HUD installations.

v/r,

Vac
FlyONSPEED.org

Last edited by Vac : 11-08-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:23 AM

Default DO-160 power input considerations

The circuitry presented here is sadly not compliant even with category A.
However this is easily fixed.

DO-160G takes dim view on any voltage clamping device and in fact specifies that the power available to blow your clamping device is somewhat larger than the total energy available in the universe.

You can still use a clamping device but it must only start acting well above the maximum test voltage. I am afraid 40V does not cut the mustard.

I would recommend you look at Category Z as this is not a big deal for your circuits to achieve with suitable component selection.

Design it such that it will survive 80V for 200mS (that is a bit more time than needed) and then 50V indefinitely. Make sure your voltage regulation is fast enough to handle 10mS transients on any voltage change from your minimum operating to 80V. Ensure that drops in supply below minimum (brownout) will not cause malfunction (i.e. failed restarts etc).

If your stuff can do the above you are fine. If you have any questions please drop me a PM, I have access to all the documents and am more than willing to help.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Thanks, Rainier.
Don't get confused with the old posting schematic... that was a prototype for an industrial controller. It's been substantially modified/hardened/improved for new applications. Nevertheless, I appreciate your guidance moving forward. I will post the upgraded design when I get a round tuit.

As for the recent postings on the AOA display... this is a commercially available platform [i.e. I only added the code] and I need to provide a 'power board' that clips onto the bottom, or it can be used with the available battery pack as a portable device.

Cheers.
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 11-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vac View Post
Hi Vern,

Excellent idea for a compact rear cockpit display! You might consider inverting the font size for data vs labels to help with ?old man? eye syndrome

Our first generation tone generator used an inexpensive Arduino processor and worked well if the EFIS manufacturer?s AOA algorithm accurately captured enough of the aircraft curve AND was properly calibrated by the user. Since our objective is to provide accurate AOA and performance/energy cues in addition to progressive stall warning we?ve been experimenting with our own hardware. We still capture EFIS data with our current design. We are a non-profit, volunteer open source group and share all of our code and designs. We are currently building 25 units for beta test and would be happy to collaborate or share lessons learned if you?re interested?this would an excellent visual display component for non-HUD installations.

v/r,

Vac
FlyONSPEED.org
Vac, I certainly welcome to opportunity for collaboration. You've been on my radar for a while. The main impetus for this was to have a rear-seat display. The AOA was an add-on because I already had the code from an old product.

As for old man syndrome, the only way to make the digits larger would be to shrink or eliminate the AOA display. The text fields need to display the +/- maximums expected, and any larger font would wrap around.

I will consider narrowing the AOA portion when the airdata is viewed. When airdata is selected OFF, I can widen the display.

Thanks for the feedback. I just rewrote the code to use C++ classes, which took longer than the brute force code to get working.

Turns out that the display unit has a very loud speaker output, and I can add On-speed audio without connection to the intercom for portable applications. It also has a pair of multi-colored LED bar graphs on the side, so I could really make the alarm conditions stand out, or replicate the AOA information on the bar graphs.

I can also add speech output, with recordings stored on the SD card. Ditto for custom JPEG, BMP or PNG graphics.

Oh yeah, it also has a built in accelerometer/magnetometer so I could actually provide a back-up Attitude indicator in the event of an EFIS failure.

So little time, so much to do.... did I mention the built-in BTLE and WiFi?
RV-9A complete
Harmon Rocket complete
The VV in huVVer.tech
Victoria, BC (Summer)
Chandler, Az (Winter)
Old 11-08-2019, 01:57 PM

Why not use the ESP8266 chip with arduino IDE ? It's much smaller then the uno and already has the wifi chip set.

Great project!