- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:38 AM

Default iFly 740 GPS panel mount

the 740 powered up and synced with my open source Lynx transponder for ADSB input. the screen is very bright. I am happy with that. so, I have this small cutout recess on the side from my previous panel mount that I wanted to cover. I made a trim piece to understand if the latch would slide under it and it did fine. my cutout edges are pretty straight but if they were not the small trim piece would hide the edge. then I thought it can sometimes be bumpy and difficult to use a touch screen, would a finger rest on the edge of the dock be useful and would it interfere with the gps install. it turns out that I think it would be beneficial and that it does not interfere with the install. the edge rest is .5 inch deep but it does increase the overall dimensions of the panel mount. then I thought, hey, why not build the edge rest into the panel mount itself as a option. so that's what I am trying now. the integrated edge rest is .375 deep. when big prints become taller they are more difficult to print. just kicking stuff around. also need to think about safety, I don't want something too deep that could impact me, it only needs to be deep enough to rest a finger against to stabilize the the hand.

some photos.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-09-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:58 AM

If you take a look at some of the newer Garmin combined NAV/GPS/COM units (GTN, I think?) they have hand rests on one corner but they don't run around the entire perimeter. You could probably reach most of the screen if your hand had only one or two places to rest.

I offer this only because that intermediate step with the separate frame looks uuuuuuugly. The latest design looks much improved though it maybe could be smaller yet.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:06 AM

if you have ever operated touch screens in turbulence then you know it's essential to have a stabilizing finger surface.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-09-2020, 02:21 PM

integrated finger rests on the sides, .250 inch tall. I install the mount .150 inch proud all around, so .150 + .250 = .400 inch tall finger rests. that should be enough. it doesn't look too bad.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-09-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Melton View Post
if you have ever operated touch screens in turbulence then you know it's essential to have a stabilizing finger surface.
Absolutely. Stabilizing the hand is a must. Sometimes even with the radio or transponder, for that matter, and they have knobs.

I looked again at the Garmins and I was incorrect about how they set it up. I had interpreted the curved portions of the plastic on the bezel as being the only raised areas (upper right below the Home button, and upper left below the SD slot), but on closer examination it looks like they have a full raised perimeter just like you've done:

I agree, your current design does look well integrated and not ugly.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:59 AM

hand rests have been incorporated on the sides of the panel mount for stabilization. that is essential for touch screens. it has slight stitching ridges on the inside of the bevel but I think I can correct that. that could be a feature. otherwise it is good go. it has a perfect grip on the GPS. this one is going to be installed. this was an experiment to see if it was possible to print one of these. it has been proved. roll your own.

the weight of this panel mount is the same as the AVMap panel mount I removed, 175 grams.

hey, I think my iFly will also store my music.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-11-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:01 PM

I am pleased with this. 3/8 inch offset from panel. the hand rest is essential.

www.rvplasticparts.com
Old 05-13-2020, 07:25 AM

I took some extra care with the bevel surface to smooth it. it looks good now. when comparing the removed injection molded panel dock to the new printed one is that the top edge is flatter on the printed version and when installed makes a cleaner look. OK, I'm done with this. time to move on. .... also, by analysis, the stresses on this panel dock are low. it will outlast the GPS many times over. material is UV resistant ASA plastic.

removed injection molded panel dock upper edge - from China (not UV resistant material)

newly installed printed panel dock upper edge. all edges are flat.

printed bevel surface smoothed

requires a right angle USB 2.0 connector (not 3.0) for the NMEA RS232 signal to the autopilot. this is a better connector style than my audio pin used on AVMap for NMEA.

I configured the iFly for auto boot up upon power up and auto shutdown upon power off. I like that. they really put a lot of thought into this unit.

since my 740 is on the aircraft wireless network for primary GPS signal (also has backup external GPS antenna) and ADSB. I hope it is possible to transfer my flight plan from my iFly tablet app to the 740. yet to be tested. and the best thing is that map updates for the 740 are included in my multi user tablet subscription. no extra cost for map updates.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-15-2020 at 07:34 AM.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:39 PM

Default workspace for panel dock

Since the panel dock outer dimensions are custom made, the retrofit was simple and I didn't need to do any panel work. that saved A LOT of time. making a couple wiring connections here.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-13-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Garmin 760 Panel Dock

Since this one is very similar to the iFly 740. I think I can do it. I'll need a beta tester to verify fit because I only have dimensions from their web site. the cable lead out could be tricky. I'll see what I can do.

www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 05-14-2020 at 04:57 PM.