What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Out Not working

mark960

Hi,

I am helping a friend with his RV-12 with the Dynon SkyView system installed along with the Van's "magic box" Following some comm antenna work, the ADS-B OUT is now no longer working. ADS-B in is still working.

Going to the Skyview configuration page, it shows the '470' ADS-B module is alive and working. The Skyview is getting a good GPS signal and accurate position.

I don't understand where or what things I should be looking for to troubleshoot. I've visually inspected all the wires and everything looks ok.

So, my questions...

What device generates the ADS-B out signal?
Is it the 470 ADS-B box or the transponder box?
Does the ADS-B out use the same GPS position data as the Skyview?
Are there any screens on the Skyview that may help narrow down the problem?
Where else should I be looking?

So, my question is where to look?

Thanks
Mark Klepper
N1075

I couldn't figure out why ADSB wasn't working until I fumbled around and switched the transponder "on".

SETUP MENU > TRANSPONDER SETUP > AUTO ALT/GND

The Dynon GPS 2020 generates the GPS Out signal through the Xpnder 261. It should be set up on Serial port 5, Position 1, for it to work correctly.

If you can't get it this weekend, call up Dynon on their Tech Support phone # and set up an appointment with them to walk you through the sequence,while you are at the plane, M-F whatever their business hours are Pacific time.

A word to the wise, don't run the Dynon just off of the airplane main battery when doing this. You'll run the charge in it down. Get a battery charger on it while doing this sequence.

Problem Solved

As was pointed out earlier, the transponder was put into 'Standby' mode. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Dynon Skyview, so I had assumed it was set correctly.

As was pointed out earlier, the transponder was put into 'Standby' mode. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the Dynon Skyview, so I had assumed it was set correctly.

Glad you sorted it out. Just so everyone knows, if you run the transponder in manual mode, you will get failing PAPR reports for Air on Ground as the transponder doesn't automatically switch to Ground mode on landing as it does with Automatic (air data) mode.

Noted:
SETUP MENU > TRANSPONDER SETUP > AUTO ALT/GND . Will see if that works. Friend got his 2 year altitude certified, and now we find that the Xpnder 261 is set in Standby Mode, shows up on top bar in yellow.

Last edited:
Back