- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:26 PM

Default Tools

I'm soon going to take possession of a new-to-me RV-7A with a D100 and D120, GNS 430W, and other basic avionics. I'll likely be doing some upgrades in the coming year.

I have the usual assortment of tools: screwdrivers, allen wrenches, wrenchs, socket sets, etc. What specialized equipment will I need to crimp D-sub pins, insert/remove them, and other tools that would be useful when working on avionics installs? Thanks!
Old 06-07-2021, 04:40 PM

Default Steinair

If you go to the Steinair website (links from front page of VAF), there are tools and links to useful videos on how to use the tools also. This is where I suggest you start.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:44 PM

Thanks. I just came across their video series on Youtube. Looks very good indeed.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:14 PM

The dsub pin crimper, wire stripper tools sold by Steinair are adequate for most of the work you’ll do and well priced. However for the removal of the high density dsub pins used in Garmin equipment you’ll also need to buy the insert for the crimper - which is also sold through Steinair.

(IMHO) When it comes to removing dsub pins the flimsy pin removers sold by Steinair are totally inadequate. Go to Amazon buy the JRReady three pin extraction set ($85). A quality extraction tool kit will make all the difference in the world and save you hours of foul language sessions.
Superior XPIO-360, Hartzel CS prop, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level & auto-trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Custom Interior, New TS Flightline hoses, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 06-07-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Tools

Stein sells a D-sub pin crimper and pin removal tool. I prefer a better removal tool than the plastic but they do work. If you plan Garmin, you may need high density pin hardware as well.
You may need a Molex or insulated connector crimp tool depending on design.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.