-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:20 AM

Does the Nav Data (approach charts) update for my GTN 650 also update the G3X, or do I need separate nav data in the G3X to update the charts - frequencies?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 05-11-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calpilot View Post
Does the Nav Data (approach charts) update for my GTN 650 also update the G3X, or do I need separate nav data in the G3X to update the charts - frequencies?

Thanks,
Gary
The database bundles are separate for the G3X/GTN, the full 'bundle' (includes everything) will do all the G3X screens, look for the one that costs $149 yr.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM

Default Trim/Flap Position Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
I went for a flight this evening and didnít see anything in the place described in that thread. So at present I only see my trim and flap position information on the MFD Engine page, not on the PFD where I had configured them. In case Garmin is reading, I have a VP-X for the flap and trim position sensors and it worked fine before this update, showing their positions on the PFD. Iíll have to spend some time in configuration mode and/or the manual to see if I can find anything helpful.
Power the G3X Touch up in configuration mode, and select the PFD menu. There is a setting titled Tim/Flap Position Display. Make sure this is set to User Selected.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:26 AM

Default AP Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarkert View Post
g3xpert the 8.81 software update was interrupted and I'm now getting an AP fail indication on my PFD. Is there a way to force a complete re-install of the 8.81 software across all the LRU's?

Also the G3X software loaded to the SD card perfectly BUT the GTN 6XX/7XX version 6.71 software won't load and a pop up saying must run as administrator pops up and the whole process halts (I'm using a separate card for each update). I am already running in administrator mode and am using windows 10. Any work-arounds?

Thank you
Bob
Hi Bob,

Please send us some screenshots of the information displayed for all GSA 28 servos, and the GMC mode controller on the System Information page in Configuration mode, this should require 3 or 4 screenshots to capture everything. That should help us determine what is flagging the AP fault, and help you get it back up and running.

It sounds like something on your PC may be preventing the .exe file from running. Our Pilot Operations group often helps work through these problems, it may be helpful to give them a call at 1-866-739-5687.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Power the G3X Touch up in configuration mode, and select the PFD menu. There is a setting titled Tim/Flap Position Display. Make sure this is set to User Selected.

Thanks,

Justin
I did this, and it was configured "disabled". Somehow the software update changed that. The elevator trim position indicator is back on the display again.
Old 05-16-2021, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
I did this, and it was configured "disabled". Somehow the software update changed that. The elevator trim position indicator is back on the display again.
Same here. Glad to have it back.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:21 PM

So where exactly in the GTN650 config menu do we enable the fuel crossfill? I got the v8.81 installed, and activated the PFD, SFD cross reference (it was enabled by default), but canít seem to get the GTN650 fuel reference to work.

Can we get detailed, step by step instructions on where to find the options described above?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDrvr View Post
So where exactly in the GTN650 config menu do we enable the fuel crossfill? I got the v8.81 installed, and activated the PFD, SFD cross reference (it was enabled by default), but can’t seem to get the GTN650 fuel reference to work.

Can we get detailed, step by step instructions on where to find the options described above?

Thanks!
Update the firmware in the GTN to version 6.71 -- instructions here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/down...s.jsp?id=12529

Once complete, boot the GTN in configuration mode -- Home + Power On.
Go to ARINC 429 configuration, ensure that ARINC 429 In 1 (*) is set to GDU/Airdata Format 2(**). Low Speed

Similarly on the G3X Touch, ensure that the ARINC 429 Output 1 (*) is set to EFIS/Airdata Format 2(**).

* = ARINC 429 port that the device is connected to.
** = Unclear from the G3X Install Guide revision AN documentation if the new fuel mass flow and fuel mass labels are transmitted in the Format 1 or Format 2 data streams.

Side bar --
G3Xpert -- The rev. AN install guide has only one reference to EFIS/Airdata Format 2 - on Page 35-136; All of the interconnect examples show EFIS/Airdata Format 1. It would be nice for all this to match, also have details on the different format contents.

2020 RV-14 QB -- Under construction - Tailcone & Empennage Complete.
2018 RV-7 QB -- Built, Flying
2007 RV-7 QB -- Built, Drowned, Resurrected and flying
1998 RV-8 QB -- Started, Sold
1986 Mooney 205SE
1980 Mooney 231

Aided and abetted building a number of other RV's.

Last edited by bjdecker : 06-10-2021 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:34 AM

Did anyone get an "Engine Interface Configuration Error" after the update?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0041.png
Views:	20
Size:	4.91 MB
ID:	12274
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.png
Views:	35
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	12275
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by bkervaski : 06-05-2021 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:06 PM

Default RS232 configuration updates

Just curious if the available RS232 configuration options have been expanded for additional ports? I am looking for an "aviation" protocol on a GDU 4xx RS232 port. Cant seem to find one

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
90% done, 90% left to go
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com