Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I should probably just let go of the starter when it catches and wait until it comes to a stop if I want to continue this method. I tried finding a max RPM for the starter but no dice.
You shouldn't do that. While the bendix gear can deal with some of it (driven gear turning the drive gear), I don't believe it is designed to do that on a regular basis.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
You shouldn't do that. While the bendix gear can deal with some of it (driven gear turning the drive gear), I don't believe it is designed to do that on a regular basis.
Ya I did a bit more research on the matter. It would appear that many of the starters have a pinion catch/release mechanism for this very reason (when engine spins faster than starter). It essential disengages the starter gear from the shaft and lets it free spin. However, I don't think my starter has this feature so I will modify my method to avoid any problems.
Exempt but gladly paying!

Last edited by jcarne : 05-24-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
Ya I did a bit more research on the matter. It would appear that many of the starters have a pinion catch/release mechanism for this very reason (when engine spins faster than starter). It essential disengages the starter gear from the shaft and lets it free spin. However, I don't think my starter has this feature so I will modify my method to avoid any problems.
It doesn't really disengage. It works in concept like your ratchet; Torque applied in one direction and free spinning in the other. However, imagine attaching your ratchet to your drill spinning 800 RPM. How long would it take to wear out the ratchet's mechanism. It is designed predominately to apply torque in one direction and not spinning in the other. I don't design these things, so really don't know whether or not excessive free spinning has any negative effect, but without that knowledge assume that it does. I do know that it is pretty common knowledge in the engine world that it is best to release the starter drive once the engine is producing it's own rotation.

Last edited by lr172 : 05-24-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
It doesn't really disengage. It works in concept like your ratchet; Torque applied in one direction and free spinning in the other. However, imagine attaching your ratchet to your drill spinning 800 RPM. How long would it take to wear out the ratchet's mechanism. It is designed predominately to apply torque in one direction and not spinning in the other. I don't design these things, so really don't know whether or not excessive free spinning has any negative effect, but without that knowledge assume that it does. I do know that it is pretty common knowledge in the engine world that it is best to release the starter drive once the engine is producing it's own rotation.
Ya disengage probably wasn't the best word. Disengage from the torque of the engine (and its speed) is what I meant. Your logic makes sense. My gut feeling is that mechanism will last a long time but I would rather not find out. I'll just change my technique a bit. Thanks for knowledge!
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 06-01-2021, 12:54 AM

As another followup, I tried my idea of doing the sweep technique with the boost pump on during a hot start. It didn't work as well as I'd hoped - the engine still would catch and die after the first attempt. And since by then the mixture was partially advanced with the boost pump on, I'm guessing that the cylinders would get partially flooded before I could bring the mixture back to ICO. Whatever the reason, it would take 3 or 4 attempts to get the engine started this way.

What seems more reliable is to pressurize the lines with the boost pump and mixture at ICO (so the cylinders don't get flooded) and then with the boost pump off, sweeping slowly from ICO to rich until it catches. Almost always, it will quit after the first attempt (I presume there is still vapour in the lines). But if I re-pressurize the lines and try again, usually it starts and stays running the second time. If not that, the third.

It may not give warm and fuzzy feelings to my passengers when the engine takes a couple of tries to get started, but at least it seems to be pretty consistent and I avoid the lever dance by doing a flooded start.