What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

609PP in RV9 tail kit

Jslow2

Well Known Member
I received 2 of these parts in my empennage kit, I'm assuming it was a mistake. Was it? And if so does anyone need?

Vans store shows only for 6/7/8. About 60” long & goes on the back of the rear horizontal spar. What do the plans for the rear horizontal spar of the -9 show?

Completely different...

The RV-9 uses a piece called HS-906 to serve as the doubler for the H-stab rear spar assembly. The rear spar is also a single piece of aluminum that runs the entire length of the H-stab.

Looks like someone had a case of dyslexia at the Van's shipping department...

Better check the plans carefully.
That's a powder coated part (PP) and probably important.
I believe it's a hinge bracket. Two each side different sizes.

HS-609PP are the spar doublers.

HS-411APP/BPP is the hinge bracket.

PP == Pre-Punched,
PC == Powder Coat (typ. in WD parts)

Last edited:
Parts

Check again Larry...

HS-609PP are the spar doublers.

HS-411APP/BPP is the hinge bracket.

PP == Pre-Punched,
PC == Powder Coat (typ. in WD parts)

Just guessing from memory 7 years ago. 1100 miles from my plans. Cut me some slack. I've slept since Empennage. Still recommend holding on to them.

609pp

Go to construction manual....section 4, parts index....it will show all your parts, how many of each part in the plane, basically everything you need to know about each part in the plane....a quick glance through section 4 did not find a 609PP

Just guessing from memory 7 years ago. 1100 miles from my plans. Cut me some slack. I've slept since Empennage. Still recommend holding on to them.

Sorry Larry...slack cut...

I'd hold on to them also, because you never know when you're going to want to build a -7 or -8 :)

I received 2 of these parts in my empennage kit, I'm assuming it was a mistake. Was it? And if so does anyone need?

I don’t know about the RV-9, but the HS-609-PP is the horizontal stabiliser rear spar reinforcement bars for at least the RV-7/8. And there’s 2 of them.

Attachments

• 1181A51C-F684-42D1-9399-60875FC3FB19.jpg
    1181A51C-F684-42D1-9399-60875FC3FB19.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 107
Maybe some caution is in order when comparing the 7/8 to the 9 assemblies. Lots of the parts are the same, but the nomenclature can be different, and they don't always make sense at first blush. I had a similar problem, maybe even with the same part when building the tail on my -7. They do seem to swap the -7 and -9 number prefix on similar parts.

I still have a few parts (the spacers on the spar, F-704G Center Section Vertical Bar for example) that were already included in my spar kit (anodized, drilled and all) but were still included rough in the wing kit. How Vans can't see that they're wasting money sending duplicate part is beyond me... Guess now I have an extra chunk of aluminum if the need arises.

No slam, just be aware that the Vans documents aren't as perfect as we might like them to be. Use the plan drawing and a potent dose of common sense. :cool:

Back