What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flightcom 403 - Intermittent Side Tone

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
I have an Flightcom 403 in my RV12 that I recently bought.

PROBLEMS:
1. I noticed that it recently started cutting in and out with pilot/passenger are talking back and forth.
2. I get allot of feedback through the headsets. If i turn squelch down it goes away, but then intercom communications are inoperative.

I have my CFI checkride coming up soon and not time to upgrade the intercom.

Wheres a good place to start trouble shooting?

Last edited:
I just cured a problem with intermittent co-pilot comms that turned out to be a loose mic jack where the jack barrel was contacting the airframe. Centered the jack on the shoulder washer and tightened the nut to restore the isolation of the fiber washers provide and it works fine.

You can also check the intercom troubleshooting section of the Flightcom 403 manual for some other ideas on headset and mic level adjustments.

https://act.soneticscorp.com/acton/.../-/-/-/flightcom-403-intercom-user-manual.pdf

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I had an unrelated issue with a 403 Flightcom about five years ago. There is a power transistor with a heatsink bolted to the inside of the case. The bolt came loose and was bouncing around on the circuit board intermittently shorting everything out.

I mentioned to Flightcom and never heard anything back from them...

Back