What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing prebuilt AFS panel - parts needed

Flyer2017

I know many forum participants have done the panel install/replacement dance before so I'm looking for advice. I'm replacing my 2003 round dial panel with a prebuilt AFS panel with Avidyne 540, autopilot panel, G5 for backup and Advanced Flight Module. Most of the wiring between the 2 AF5600 EFIS and other modules will be already done with harnesses. I'll still need to connect the wing/tail/stick/engine monitor wiring. I have pins and crimper for the DB connectors. What quantity of ring connectors, butt connectors, wire (colors or just white), etc would I need to start? Thanks

AFS can probably tell you what is needed.

Call Rob and see what they recommend.

Lots of it may be determined by how they terminate the wiring that you will need to hook up.

I seem to remember seeing round connectors like Amphenol or Deutsch style being used on other prebuilt panels. You may be able to choose what you want?

ACM

I'm going a similar route.
The rear and front harnesses are builder terminated. They are D-Sub pins.
The control sticks harnesses are individual to each stick. I don't recall if the come with a connector but there are nine wires to each so a 9-pin D-sub makes sense.
If it's a complete panel, they provide the switch panels and switch harness.
You will need wire and ring terminals for the ACM power cable. Drawings in the manual are very good.
The only tricky parts are figuring out the existing lighting & control stick wiring to match up functions.

Back