What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Avionics Database Subscriptions

rocketman1988

Well Known Member
Ok, so having spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what database subscriptions to purchase, I am going to try it here...again.

I have a G3X Touch Suite and a GTN 650 navigator.

I want full IFR with Jeppesen charts and Foreflight.

I am not interested in the government charts to save a couple of bucks...35 years using Jeppesen, not changing now.

I am considering the Jepp Pilot Pak, which apparently includes the G3X DBs and the Jeppesen Charts for $990. Add a Foreflight subscription for $199. Can I use the Jepps from the Pilot Pak on Foreflight or will I need to buy another Jepp subscription for that?

Ready, set, go...

Bob you should reconsider. With the g3x full package only 150 and the geo referenced charts on the g3x showing the approach using the gtn data then you really don’t need the jeppesen plates. I wonder if Garmin would give you a trial to see how good it is without the extra expense. You only need the gtn nav data in that case. I get the full GTN package for other reasons but to be honest I haven’t used all those features on the gtn.

Data

The G3X DB , true, is 150. The GTN DB, which I assume would be required for IFR, is 500. So the difference between the Jepps and the Garmin data is about 300...not including the "chart key" one time fee.

During phase 1, I used the "free" data updates that came with the avionics; even in VFR conditions, it was like looking at a foreign language...

What I may try is using the Garmin charts on the avionics and getting the Jeppesen charts on foreflight...anyone doing it this way?

Ok, so having spent the better part of two days trying to figure out what database subscriptions to purchase, I am going to try it here...again.

I have a G3X Touch Suite and a GTN 650 navigator.

I want full IFR with Jeppesen charts and Foreflight.

I am not interested in the government charts to save a couple of bucks...35 years using Jeppesen, not changing now.

I am considering the Jepp Pilot Pak, which apparently includes the G3X DBs and the Jeppesen Charts for $990. Add a Foreflight subscription for $199. Can I use the Jepps from the Pilot Pak on Foreflight or will I need to buy another Jepp subscription for that?

Ready, set, go...

Good Morning,

The PilotPak includes Jeppesen Navigation databases, but does not include Jeppesen charts. Jeppesen Charts must be purchased directly from Jeppesen.

A popular combination of subscriptions is the G3X Touch US Database bundle, and GTN 650 Navigation database subscription. You could then purchase the Jeppesen Charts subscription directly from Jeppesen. You will have to ask them if that subscription will be available on both the portable device and the G3X Touch.

GTN 650 U.S. Navigation Data - $299.00
G3X Touch US Database Bundle - $149.95

Thanks,

Justin

I have the same set up as you, 2 G3X's and a GTN 650. I'm always confused when I reup my sub. Looks like last time I did "US Database Bundle - G3X Touch, US (Fixed Wing) Database Bundle" for $650.

However I don't use Jepp Charts and I use Garmin Pilot.

OK, so...

So here is what I found out, besides "there is an unusually large number of callers"...

You can get the GTN Pilot Pak bundle from Jeppesen, which INCLUDES all the charts AND all the databases for the GTN AND G3X.

Jeppesen price is $990

Garmin offers the same bundle for $1039

The Foreflight subscription is $199.

You must purchase a Chartview Key to see Jepp charts on the G3X for $199, one time fee. The Key is based on the system ID number, so if you have two G3X displays, both will be able to view Jepp charts using the same Chart Key.

If you choose to use Jeppview FD, you MUST purchase the charts from Jepp, if you get them through Foreflight, you will NOT received a serial number for the charts and Jeppview FD requires one.

The Jeppesen bundle INCLUDES two device installations, ie you could link the charts to TWO iPads running Foreflight OR ONE iPad running Foreflight AND Jeppview FD. Each APP uses one install key.

This information was obtained after 3 call with Garmin, three calls with Jeppesen, and two emails to Foreflight...

Clear as mud, right?

If anyone knows different, please chime in...

Good Morning,

The PilotPak includes Jeppesen Navigation databases, but does not include Jeppesen charts. Jeppesen Charts must be purchased directly from Jeppesen.

A popular combination of subscriptions is the G3X Touch US Database bundle, and GTN 650 Navigation database subscription. You could then purchase the Jeppesen Charts subscription directly from Jeppesen. You will have to ask them if that subscription will be available on both the portable device and the G3X Touch.

GTN 650 U.S. Navigation Data - $299.00
G3X Touch US Database Bundle - $149.95

Thanks,

Justin
Justin, when going the route recommended above, what features are missing by not having the other databases in the GTN updated? I can't quite figure out what happens when only NAV data is up to date, or what is being left out functionally from the feature set by not purchasing the Onepak or Pilot pak...? can you provide any insight into what a person gets for the extra money spent?

Thanks,

Patrick

Jeppesen price is $990

Garmin offers the same bundle for $1039
Shoot fire, that is a boatload of money to pay year after year.

For the SkyView updates are free. The GTN-650 nav only subscription is $299. Nothing else is needed as the SkyView updates cover the terrain and obstacle updates I don’t get on the GTN-650 (much more useful on the SkyView anyway).

I do have the Seattle Avionics charts for the SkyView (provides geo reference charts and approach plates) but I got a lifetime subscription for very little a few years ago.

Carl

Justin, when going the route recommended above, what features are missing by not having the other databases in the GTN updated? I can't quite figure out what happens when only NAV data is up to date, or what is being left out functionally from the feature set by not purchasing the Onepak or Pilot pak...? can you provide any insight into what a person gets for the extra money spent?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

You can also update Navigation, Terrain and Obstacles on the G3X Touch, at no cost. For $149, you can update all of the 7 packages listed below (including IFR charts) for a year.

The G3X Touch has 7 databases in total that can be updated:
  • Navigation
  • Basemap
  • Obstacle
  • Safetaxi
  • Terrain
  • Approach/Procedure Charts
  • Airport Directory
  • IFR/VFR Enroute Charts
The GTN 650 has 5 databases that can be updated:
  • Navigation (required for IFR - $299/yr)
  • Basemap
  • Obstacle
  • Safetaxi
  • Terrain
If you were updating all databases for an instrument panel with multiple navigators, flight displays, and/or database-reliant backup instruments, then the OnePaks or PilotPaks may be of value to you depending on which data services your prefer. That is not always the case however, so we provide a variety of options to keep the cost down.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Patrick,

You can also update Navigation, Terrain and Obstacles on the G3X Touch, at no cost. For $149, you can update all of them for a year.

The GTN 650 has 5 databases that can be updated:
  • Navigation
  • Basemap
  • Obstacle
  • Safetaxi
  • Terrain
The G3X Touch has 7 databases that can be updated:
  • Navigation
  • Basemap
  • Obstacle
  • Safetaxi
  • Terrain
  • Approach/Procedure Charts
  • Airport Directory
  • IFR/VFR Enroute Charts

If you were updating all databases for an instrument panel with multiple navigators, flight displays, and/or database-reliant backup instruments, then the OnePaks or PilotPaks may be of value to you depending on which data services your prefer. That is not always the case however, so we provide a variety of options to keep the cost down.

Thanks,

Justin
Justin, this is the best explanation I’ve seen yet, including on the Garmin website 🤣🤣

Thanks for providing me with this info, it will help me to make the right decision.

Patrick

Back