What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio EZ Pilot Tracking Source

RONSIM

Well Known Member
Just bought a -6A with a new
Trio EZ pilot (single axis) --- the unit is not hooked to any nav or heading source, so, naturally, just kind of wanders around. I was wondering if anybody knows if my iFly 720 could somehow be made to communicate with the Trio. I also have a Narco 12D Navcom. I assume if I added a panel-mount GPS that there would be a way to "couple" it?

Just bought a -6A with a new
Trio EZ pilot (single axis) --- the unit is not hooked to any nav or heading source, so, naturally, just kind of wanders around. I was wondering if anybody knows if my iFly 720 could somehow be made to communicate with the Trio. I also have a Narco 12D Navcom. I assume if I added a panel-mount GPS that there would be a way to "couple" it?

Your iFly 720 will do a fine job of flying the EZ-Pilot. I have an iFly 700 sending data to a Trio Pro Pilot in my RV-6.

You need a data cable coming out of the iFly that will interface with the EZ-Pilot. Give Jerry or Chuck at Trio a call if you can't figure out what you need after reading both sets of manuals.

Enjoy your new plane!

I will give Trio a call --- intend to upgrade eventually, to the Pro!

Let me give you a head start. You need a USB to DB9 adapter cable for the iFly:

https://ifly.adventurepilot.com/shop-t136/usb-to-serial-cable.aspx

You also need a NMEA data line (one wire) coming out of the EZ-Pilot connector to a female DB9 that plugs into the adapter cable. Once that is hooked up, make sure the iFly is configured to transmit NMEA data and you should be good to go.

Thanks

Sam, thanks much -- I ordered the iFly cable and will follow your input on the rest.

UPDATE: - hooked up the pin 3 from the iFly to the pin 7 of the Trio --- tried the NMEA baud rate at 9600 and 4800 on the iFly, but the Trio did not find a GPS ------

I will keep working on the iFly end to try to solve the puzzle.

Regards,

Ron

Last edited:
Got it working

After wiring up the units, with help here (many thanks) and from both Trio and iFly folks, I still could not get them to talk to each other. However, with the help of my -7A hangar neighbor (who actually read the iFly instruction manual using his phone) I configured the iFly for the correct NMEA protocol -- for future info: iFly -- "menu-setup-output-NMEA-extended-com 1-autodetect" --- now my Trio and iFly are great friends.

Back