Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2021, 08:31 AM

For temporary chocks I wrap the tie down ropes around the wheels.
Old 04-30-2021, 08:43 AM

Default What I do

I painted the bottom of my wheel pants with a teflon infused urethane paint that is very tough and takes the abuse of gravel and dirt on turf strips very well. It only needs to cover the very bottom, and cant even be seen while on the ground. For chocks , I have some very light weight aluminum angles that are about 1" in height with a string lanyard. I have 3 sets so I can also do the tailwheel, and they all stack together nice and take up very little space. You will also see some folks make PVC ones from 1" pipe and a couple 90 degree fittings to make a "U" that slips in from the side..also cheap,light, and easy. I don't ever let a "line boy" try to help with big rubber chocks when at an event or transient FBO..they will do it in a heart beat more often than not.
Old 04-30-2021, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
The rubber galoshes are not needed for grass ops. They just allow grass ops with pants mounted low to cover the max amount of tire, while sealing the perimeter of the opening. In other words, drag reduction, and for all I know they don't buy much more than a milliknot.

However, if I moved to a semi-rough or soft place, I'd do like Marvin McGraw and install 6.00's and larger pants. They look great on the airplane, and do not seem to slow him down much, if any.

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraf...001423968.html
Drag reduction is the goal Iím guessing, and it may be more than a milliknot. An old friend from college on this website sent me information years ago about drag reduction on the Radial Rocket (some of you may remember that airplane). It had fiberglass wheel pants like our RVís, although with larger tires I think. He installed a NACA vent - BACKWARDS - in the tail/pressure recovery portion of the wheel pant, so it essentially ďsuckedĒ the air out, eliminating turbulence around the opening between the pant and the tire. He claimed it made a 5 knot difference in true airspeed. Iíve never validated that, but Iíve often thought I would give it a try on my RV4 - after all, itís just fiberglass and can be changed back. I donít have the bulkhead inside my pressure recovery wheel pants, but if I did I would have to create a duct from the bulkhead back to the NACA vent. I think thatís what he did.
I think I just talked myself into doing some experimenting........
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 04-30-2021, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
6" lengths of 3/4" aluminum angle, strung together in pairs.
+1...
Or something like this -- https://www.chiefaircraft.com/ft-c6.html
Old 04-30-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdecker View Post
+1...
Or something like this -- https://www.chiefaircraft.com/ft-c6.html
I have the cute yellow ones and they are 1-1/2" angle.
I have problems getting them in when the tire pressure runs below 30 psi.
Good indicator of when to add air.

I always have the linemen scratching their head because they don't have anything that small.

3/4" is tiny.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 04-30-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVbySDI View Post
My 9A lives on 3000í grass strip. 700 hours with at least one landing from every flight on the grass. Unlike DanH, I have no special construction with the wheel pants. They look as good now as when they were new.
Ditto my 6A - 2700' grass home strip, so many landings and takeoffs from that strip in the past 2.5 years with standard wheel pants. I did wind up with a cracked bracket on the nose wheel pant that was the old 6A bracket, but have replaced it with the newer version that should not have the same issues.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:28 PM

From Dan Hortons post:

And what a beautiful airplane that is. I camped next to him and his wife at OSH-2018. He not only has larger main wheels, his tailwheel is a more robust unit than comes with the kit. He operates off a private grass runway and wanted some extra assurance that his undercarriage would hold up. I think he accomplished his goal.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019 Flying
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2021
Old 05-08-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
From Dan Hortons post:

And what a beautiful airplane that is. I camped next to him and his wife at OSH-2018. He not only has larger main wheels, his tailwheel is a more robust unit than comes with the kit. He operates off a private grass runway and wanted some extra assurance that his undercarriage would hold up. I think he accomplished his goal.
This is Marvin & Sandy that operate off their own grass strip (5tn4). He designed it with larger tires for the back country of Idaho, which he, myself, and a few others from our EAA chapter, are heading to in June. They both did an excellent job on building this RV14. He has over 500 hours on it already. george
Knoxville TN
A&P & Private Pilot
USAF 1966-1970
1970-2001 DAL
www.oilhelp.com
Old 05-18-2021, 06:02 PM

Default 5mph

5 mph is huge. The late Bob Axiom would have loved to known this.
Please keep us posted as this sounds like a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
Drag reduction is the goal Iím guessing, and it may be more than a milliknot. An old friend from college on this website sent me information years ago about drag reduction on the Radial Rocket (some of you may remember that airplane). It had fiberglass wheel pants like our RVís, although with larger tires I think. He installed a NACA vent - BACKWARDS - in the tail/pressure recovery portion of the wheel pant, so it essentially ďsuckedĒ the air out, eliminating turbulence around the opening between the pant and the tire. He claimed it made a 5 knot difference in true airspeed. Iíve never validated that, but Iíve often thought I would give it a try on my RV4 - after all, itís just fiberglass and can be changed back. I donít have the bulkhead inside my pressure recovery wheel pants, but if I did I would have to create a duct from the bulkhead back to the NACA vent. I think thatís what he did.
I think I just talked myself into doing some experimenting........

RV-3 Sold
RV-4 Sold
RV-6a Sold
RV-9 Lycoming with CS, Built and Flying
1976 Aerostar 600A, Bucket-list twin
Old 05-18-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl34d View Post
We just bought an RV-9 from the original builder who has operated the airplane from paved runways only. I know Van designed the RV line to operate from grass but this builder is quite concerned about that with Wheel Pants installed. His are nicely faired in and set 1-1/2” off the ground. We live on an airpark in East Texas (T25) with a nice grass runway. This is not an “unimproved” or pasture strip but nicely maintained grass. In the heat of summer when the grass is stressed it does get a bit rough whereas in the spring and early winter its noticeably “softer” but never muddy.

What recommendations do you have for turf ops? Should we remove the Wheel Pants? Can they be reinforced and or raised to give more clearance? If we remove them how do we secure the gear leg fairing since there’s no place to attach the lower intersection fairings?

Any advice would be most appreciated.
You live about 10 minutes way from my grass runway TA37 ( link is in the signature below). Come on over and visit when you get a chance. If you can land in T25 you'll land easily here. It's North-South without any trees on the approaches, plus it's all flat and never soggy, even with the almost 3" of rain that fell yesterday.

I had my wheel-pants installed all the time on my RV8 and never had any issues with the grass. I also later installed the bigger tires but never noticed any difference (at least on my runway) so I removed them but gave them to the person who bought my RV8 a few months ago in case he wanted to try them. Now I own a Cardinal with wheel-pants and they're not coming off either.
Sadly sold my RV-8 N52VM however I'm still trying to enjoy life by creating an airport with FREE campsites for pilots to come visit www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ WHILE WAITING FOR THE HIGH WING RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.