What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Bus relay location...

idleup

Well Known Member
Do you all place the E-Bus relay on the engine or cockpit side of the firewall?

Do you have any pictures?

Thanks.

ebus relay

Ours was on the engine side of firewall. Brought in the 7.2ah backup battery. It was getting unreliable and I found a way to eliminate it. now just use a switch on the EXP bus panel to bring in the E bus battery and SD8 alternator.

Switch only here also.

Switch is rated at 30A as I recall, I used a DPST switch and paired the double poles, so theoretically doubled the rating.

relay

Switch only here also.

Switch is rated at 30A as I recall, I used a DPST switch and paired the double poles, so theoretically doubled the rating.

When I took out the Ebus relay I was shocked, it bet that thing weighs 2 lbs!

I just mounted mine on the fuse tray. The s7401? Relay I used was just ounces.
9FADFEF5-D608-4DA7-9DED-CFC7AD7B1FD7-14962-000006F3133B9E49_zps18b8d381.jpg

38136182-39A8-40D7-8D8B-3B5EBC51D444-14962-000006F2BB664343_zpse76d7be8.jpg

Thanks Guys. I like the idea of a switch instead of a relay but I think the whole point of using the relay was to get the power line that you could not shut off out of the cockpit right?

- Matt

Thanks Guys. I like the idea of a switch instead of a relay but I think the whole point of using the relay was to get the power line that you could not shut off out of the cockpit right?

- Matt

That is my reasoning on unprotected circuits. Would I rather have a relay fail(that can be bypassed to get me home) or burning plastic, sparks, smoke and molten copper produced during a crash?

- Matt

That is my reasoning on unprotected circuits. Would I rather have a relay fail(that can be bypassed to get me home) or burning plastic, sparks, smoke and molten copper produced during a crash?

Agree with the above, I put an inline fuse (30A as I recall) back at the battery.

- Matt

I used a switch. The line coming from the battery bus to the E-bus switch is fused on the battery bus so that is not a cabin worry. The line from battery, through the firewall, to the battery bus fuse block was a worry until I put a fusible link on it at the battery post. Fuse link recommended by an AI that I asked to give me a once over prior to first flight. I agreed.

Back