What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sharing Fuses...

It's okay to share some fuses, but you have to think carefully. For instance, at night you wouldn't want your panel to go dark because your nav lights shorted out.

Is it okay to share fuses for things like LED Nav lights and Panel LED's?
If I recall correctly, this is precisely what Van's shows on their wiring diagram and it is what I use. They call for the power for the panel lights to come off the nav lights switch. It makes sense because the only time you would need panel lights is when you'd also need to have your nav lights on. It also saves fuse block real estate or prevents the need to buy and locate an additional breaker or breaker/switch. Just make sure you size the wire (and then the fuse) for the total load on that circuit.

Aerhed's comment is correct that the more you put on a single fuse the more chance a failure in one thing takes out something else, so it is worthwhile thinking about various combinations. In my opinion, though, there is a very low probability of a failure like that in this scenario if wired properly from the start. Moreover, if you have any glass in your panel you will probably not really need panel lights to get back on the ground. Perhaps if your panel is really crowded, but even after only 70 hours, I could easily find every switch by touch. YMMV.

Having said all that, I have a cheap headlamp in a convenient place to serve as a backup.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Piper used to wire panel lights with nav lights. A toggle on the old ones and a roller dimmer on the Indian series that would click the nav lights and then roll up the panel lights. Pretty sure Cessna always kept them on separate breakers. I should have picked a more critical example. Thing is, when wiring is new and done properly, all the failure scenarios are rare. As far as failures go, these simple circuits should never go bad unles the inevitable mistake shows up. Some time down the road something vibrates loose, gets pinched from unrelated maintenance, or corroded from improper placement, bad crimps, etc.

Just remember that each wire on the load side of the fuse needs to be sized so that it can carry the entire rated current for the fuse. In other words, don't reduce the wire size with the idea that you're splitting the current between two loads.

Charlie

Back