What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting the Lightspeed Plasma control unit...

Looks fine to me Matt. The metal angle that is part of the Plasma unit itself adds stiffness to web of that rib. Once you get the top skin riveted in place that rib should become quite solid.

Looks fine to me Matt. The metal angle that is part of the Plasma unit itself adds stiffness to web of that rib. Once you get the top skin riveted in place that rib should become quite solid.

Agree, you'll be just fine like it is.

However, while you still have access, think about how you will get to it to work on it. Getting a screwdriver up there once it's closed up and there are wires and stuff in the way is a nightmare. Ask me how I know. On the -10, I thought about my experience and so I used some aluminum angle to fabricate a couple of capture rails. The upper end has rivets that limit how far the unit can slide into the rails and the unit is held in place with two screws at the bottom in nutplates. The hardest thing to reach in my installation is the DB connectors because they are so close to the subpanel. The coax connectors are not too bad, and the two screws are a breeze, dropping the unit down onto the rudder pedal assembly (with a little relief in the rails so I can get the unit all the way out). In your case, you'd need to make a stand-off so the unit could slide downward past the rib flange. Sorry, I don't have a great picture of mine online right now but a little planning now will make servicing later a whole lot easier.

Back