What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Wiring Diagram Feedback...

idleup

Well Known Member
Can you guys give me some feedback on this wiring diagram I just finished?

Here are my concerns:

1. Ray Allen diagram shows a 1A Circuit Breaker when using a rocker switch, however since I am using a Trim Relay Deck both Aileron and Elevator are powered off the same 1A power input. Is that going to cause an overload (I cannot find load information for those trim motors)

2. I am not using a Breaker and I do not have a disconnect switch (I already cut the panel too so I have no where to put it). Is this a problem?

3. Did I use the correct method of allowing both co-pilot and pilot to control the trim (simple splice)?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Especially if it addresses the concerns mentioned above. Thanks.

trim.png

T2-10A trim motors have a stall current of 800 mA each. In the unlikely event that both motors are stalled (or heavily loaded) simultaneously, it would trip your fuse.

Sound engineering practice would size the wire and fuse for this, but you will probably be ok as is. A 2A fuse would be better.

Can anyone tell me if I correctly wired the stick for allowing passenger or pilot operation? splicing them together seemed a little simplistic...

The whole point of the relay deck is to isolate those switches. (What will happen if pilot pushes 'up' while copilot pushes 'down'?). Each hat switch should have its own connection to the relay deck (use the other wires labeled hat switch). Relay deck should have a wiring diagram somewhere.

I agree, it appears the Tosten relay deck allows you to control higher currents than the switches alone can handle, nothing else.

You need a relay logic board to handle more than one input. You can, of course, build your own for a lot less than a pre-made unit.

You need a relay logic board to handle more than one input. You can, of course, build your own for a lot less than a pre-made unit.

Not necessarily.

Most trim relays are setup so that if they receive both an up and down input at the same time, you get no trim motor movement (and no blown breakers).

There are Boeing products flying today with the exact same behavior.

Back