What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Open cockpit?

billnaz

Well Known Member
Is anyone doing an open cockpit RV3? I've seen a picture of a flying 3 in Hawaii I think. I'm day dreaming about my next project. I'm seeing an open cockpit and a Rotec radial....

Maybe a removable canopy aft section?

Last edited:
Too much wind

My typical slow cruise speed which is hardly much more than an idle, "2000" RPM's equals 121 MPH !!!! Have you ever drove a motorcycle down the road at 85 mph that is a lot of wind even with a windshield your head would get beat up by the buffeting of the air at 121 MPH.
I have seen a few open cockpits in slower aircraft but that is not for me.

Is anyone doing an open cockpit RV3? I've seen a picture of a flying 3 in Hawaii I think. I'm day dreaming about my next project. I'm seeing an open cockpit and a Rotec radial....

Like this?
rv3%201.jpg

I would want the full canopy so that I can use the aircraft most of the year. Too much that the aircraft can do that would limit it without the full canopy.

The radial will have either a lower thrust line and longer landing gear legs or the top forward fuselage shape will be changed.

Dave

My typical slow cruise speed which is hardly much more than an idle, "2000" RPM's equals 121 MPH !!!! Have you ever drove a motorcycle down the road at 85 mph that is a lot of wind even with a windshield your head would get beat up by the buffeting of the air at 121 MPH.
I have seen a few open cockpits in slower aircraft but that is not for me.

The Bucker, a relatively fast Biplane, cruises at 115 MPH. It is quite pleasant for an open cockpit aircraft. However, it does buffet you some and it is quite exhausting on long cross countries.
The Bucker also has hinged side panels that shield you all the way up to your shoulders, so only your head sticks out. Something to consider; removable or hinged side panels? (you can't get in the Bucker with them in the up position.)
Google Bucker Jungmann and look at the images for ideas..

A lot depends on the windscreen. Shape, size etc.

My Skybolt cruises at 120 mph, calm as can be in the rear pit. VNE to 200 mph, could only tell by looking at the ASI, no noticeable difference.

I fly it down to 45° with no problem. Usually just wear my jeans and tennis shoes and medium jacket. If I fly longer than 45 minutes, I'll put on my flight suit as well.

Now if I stick my head out the side to look down...it gets breezy!

The accident appears to have been caused by unrelated factors from whether or not the plane was being operated as an open-cockpit plane.

Dave

When I was still co-owner of an RV-4, we've discussed the open cockpit option. We figured that an attractive way would be to build a side-hinged canopy that would have the windscreen, would close off the rear cockpit and would replace it with a raised turtle deck/ headrest, and would wrap around the pilot rather closely to avoid too much draft and buffeting. The fact that it would be side-hinged would make entry and egress a lot easier, plus converting it between two-pit closed bubble and single-seat open-top would be as simple as pulling the piano hinge wire and swapping out the canopies.

No reason why this wouldn't work on a side-hinged -3.

Mine is a slider. Different game. Plus I already have a Fly Baby to scratch that open-top itch. :)

Back