What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 wing walk doubler

pierre smith

Well Known Member
Mornin guys/gals,
My wing walk doubler doesn’t conform to the leading edge radius at all. It makes about a 90 degree ‘bend’ but doesn’t curve around to the underside of the wing to lay flush. I’m trying to avoid stress on the underside rivets, and the skin cracking.

How in the world did you guys tighten the radius of the doubler? I have a 1 1/2” piece of pipe to try and ‘roll’ more radius but it’s rather obstinate!

Thanks,

Doesn’t sound right. Was a while ago, but mine fit straight on. Put a light break on the bottom edge to make it look nice, but it was a good fit with no muscling required.
Cheers, DaveH

Mornin guys/gals,
My wing walk doubler doesn’t conform to the leading edge radius at all. It makes about a 90 degree ‘bend’ but doesn’t curve around to the underside of the wing to lay flush. I’m trying to avoid stress on the underside rivets, and the skin cracking.

How in the world did you guys tighten the radius of the doubler? I have a 1 1/2” piece of pipe to try and ‘roll’ more radius but it’s rather obstinate!

Thanks,

Can you post a picture of what is happening? I know mine laid right up without much of a struggle.

Mornin guys/gals,

Thanks,

Mine fit with no modification. I'd check that you got the right part.

JH

Be sure you start attaching on the underside of the wing and work up and over to the topside. Going the other direction could cause the issue you’re running into.

Yep

I’ve thought of doing that but there would still be stress with the skin trying to ‘spring back.’....and perhaps leading to stress cracks down the road.

I’d rather the skin ‘obey’ and lay snug willingly..😊

Regards,

It is typical that the part doesn’t fit perfectly. Riveting at the bottom leading edge first and then wrapping it around as was recommended, is the best process for a tight flush fit.

Back