What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question on 3-Switch control of Taxi/Landing/Wigwag with Duckworks WigWag...

idleup

Well Known Member
I already have a panel put together for my not-yet-flying RV kit that has separate landing light, taxi light, and wig-wag switches based on the Bob Nuckolls Wig-Wag circuit design. Instead of using an SSF-1 Wig Wag relay I have decided to purchase the Duckworks solid state Wig Wag controller. This controller uses a SPDT switch where down is off, middle is on, and up is Wig Wag. Has anyone used this controller for their existing three switch design? if so how did you wire it?

My initial idea is to stick the switches AFTER the wig wag controller so when the Wig Wag switch is in the 'On' position then each switch turns on and off the landing/taxi lights as normal. Is this weird? it would mean having the Wig Wag switch centered all the time... looking to hear others thoughts on this, thanks.

Matt

Last edited:
Not to throw a monkey wrench in your gears, but... if you want to use the Nuckolls 3-switch method, take a look at the Grote 44030 solid state LED alternating flasher.

https://www.grote.com/warning-hazard/flashers/solid-state-electronic-flasher/44030/

I did the Nuckolls 3 switch/SSF-1 relay years ago driving a pair of standard halogen bulbs; when I upgraded to LEDs, the old school relay didn?t like it and the LEDs didn?t flash. Boooo. On my recent panel upgrade I finally replaced the old relay with this Grote unit and kept my 3 switches. Easy install and works great! I see them on Amazon for $47. Just a thought...

I upgraded to Aerosun LED landing lights and had a single switch on the panel. Very bright and visible. After installing the FlyLEDs wigwag module, I can choose between landing lights and wigwag (various patterns) with my single existing switch and wiring. Works great. With the bright LED landing lights I didn?t find a need for separate taxi lights.

Back