What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron hinge fairings

Guys, are these for the F1s or for RVs? (Just askin' 'cause what your building Bob). If they are for RVs, I'd like to find more info too...poor Vic's phone may not know what hit it! :D

If they are for F1's won't bother him, but thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,
Bob

Same design

Guys, are these for the F1s or for RVs? (Just askin' 'cause what your building Bob). If they are for RVs, I'd like to find more info too...poor Vic's phone may not know what hit it! :D

If they are for F1's won't bother him, but thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,
Bob

Hey Bob:

The hinge design is the same on both ships, if you are referring to the Sport wing F1. Get a pic of Dave Anders' RV4 to see how he did it - very small bits.

See ya next week!

Carry on!
Mark

I suppose I have to ask the obvious question.

Has anyone proven a speed increase using these devices?

$86 shipped from Vic and they're carbon fiber. Look very nice. Just ordered a set. Will they make me go faster? ummm.....sure! :)

And as Mark said the -4,-6,-8, and most of the sport wing F1's that didn't have the raised cuff ailerons are of the same design.

Hey Bob:

The hinge design is the same on both ships, if you are referring to the Sport wing F1. Get a pic of Dave Anders' RV4 to see how he did it - very small bits.

See ya next week!

Carry on!
Mark

Thanks Boss! I hadn't seen them on a Sport Wing F1, but I've always admired the ones on the EVO wing (I still mull over the concept of an EVO winged Super Six ;)).

So, you gonna bring a set of these "very small bits" to PRS for me? :p

See ya next week!

$86 shipped from Vic and they're carbon fiber. Look very nice. Just ordered a set. Will they make me go faster? ummm.....sure! :)

And as Mark said the -4,-6,-8, and most of the sport wing F1's that didn't have the raised cuff ailerons are of the same design.

Thanks Bob...let me see, where's that number! :)

And concur...faster perhaps, sure couldn't hurt. One of those incremental changes that add up to catching Rockets! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Any idea how to inspect the hinge/bolt/nut once the fairings are on? I would be interested and have been thinking about it, only not sure how to inspect the hing/bolt once it is installed?

A pix would be awesome.

How 'bout a pic? :D

the ultimate would be clear!

I also would like fairings in a number of places, but unless they were clear acrylic, held on with 3M super-but-removable adhesive, I'm not crazy about the compromise of not being able to inspect a critical part ( are there any other kind on an aircraft?) and with an all-ready-built ship, don't want to start drilling holes, nutplates, and re-paint.
.....wishful thinking, I know!

Vic's instructions include pics. I could post those. I fitted the fairings and they fit just fine. There is no problem seeing the bolts because they protrude outside the fairings. I'd post pics but I removed the fairings and am going to put them back on in a few months when I start spraying primer on them.

I plan to make some for mine but speed increase ?

I plan to make some for mine but speed increase is a question. I asked John Huft about his a few years ago and he was hesitant to say that there was any speed increase. I did an experiment with our RV-6A closing the big hole on top and plugging the ends of the wing control surfaces and the speed was reduced. I rationalized this to my satisfaction and plan to approach the fairing and closure on the lower, high pressure, side of the wing and see what it brings but I don't expect much.

Bob Axsom

I sent the info and pictures to several of you last night. RVMills will post Vic's information for easy access. I have no idea as to speed gain/loss but I can tell you that anything Vic does is the highest quality. I will send a picture of the carbon fiber oil cooler brace that he makes. Damon Ring flying his RV8 #17 in the Air Races has used Vic on several projects also.

Here come the pics (they look pretty nice!):

Inboard aileron hinge fairing, side view:
Inboard%252520stanchion%252520fairing%252520WEB.JPG

Inboard aileron hinge fairing, from below:
Inboard%252520aileron%252520WEB.JPG

Fuel drain fairing:
Drain%252520fairing%252520WEB.jpg

Full set (inboard and outboard aileron hinges, fuel drain and fuel vent fairings):
RV-6A%252520Fairing%252520Set%252520%2525282%252529%252520WEB.JPG

Pricing and other info in the pasted e-mail below. $86 shipped for aileron hinge fairings only (as was posted earlier). More for the full set. Aileron hinge fairings are pre-cut per the notes below.

Here is the e-mail from Vic that John forwarded to me (permission in it that its OK to forward...and I'm hoping this does not violate the advertising rules...I think its more of a "how-to-buy-this-stuff" post. If it is in violation, I will gladly edit out the part below):

John, you can fwd this to them....

The set will fit the RV4, 6, 7, 8 and standard wing Rocket only. Nothing for the 9 or 10 right now.

They are made of 2 layers of carbon fiber that is vacuum bagged in the mold. Very light and very strong.

The set is $156.00 which covers shipping in the lower 48. The aileron stanchion is precut at 4" back when you get them which gives you 12 parts total. Any part or group is available separately.

Please read the attached Word document to understand what these fairings are and are not before purchase.

$30.00 Fuel vents ( 2 pieces )
$40.00 Fuel drains ( 2 pieces )
$80.00 Aileron stanchions ( 8 pieces )
$150.00 For the set (12 pieces)

On any combination add $6.00 for shipping in the lower 48 States

Send a check or money order to;

Poster's NOTE: I edited the address out, Vic's e-mail and ph# are on page 1 of this thread. Felt funny about adding his address here. RVM
Include shipping address and what aircraft you have. I send out USPS priority mail.

I will e-mail you the day they go out.

Let me know if you want a set as I am only making them on demand at this point. It is a 24 hour process to make just one set.

The attachments are pictures and the instructions for mounting the fairings.

Let me know if you are interested or need more info.
Vic Skodzinsky

--end of forwarded e-mail--

So there's some good info about the gear. Bob A and Bob J, I'm going to give shot at them, and will see how they do. Probably one of those incremental changes that (hopefully) add up.

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Quick follow-up: I purchased a set of aileron stanchion fairings from Vic (nice guy...we had a couple nice conversations) and installed them this weekend, in time for the Rocket 100 next week. No time to test yet, but I'll get some idea from the race (and perhaps the X-C to Tejas).

Vic's instructions were good, and with a little bit of fabricating to cut them to fit, the installation was straight forward. I had to modify the outer front fairings a bit, due to a wingtip screw in the way, and since I swap tips for racing, I can't glue the outer flange on that piece anyway...so I'll need to use a little speed tape to hold that part of the flange down.

Here's a few pics:

Both outer and inner, from the side:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520002.jpg

Outer:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520005.jpg

Inner:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520006.jpg

Both, from the front:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520008%252520cropped%2525202.jpg

Fun project. I know Mark (Race 12) and Tom (Race 109) have similar fairings on their EVOs...hoping Wayne (Race 14) doesn't! :p

Cheers,
Bob

If you're thinking of installing carbon fairings on unpainted aluminum, please remember that carbon and aluminum act as dissimilar metals and can corrode.

A contact layer of thin fiberglass cloth or paint will alleviate the issue.

Dave

Bringing this thread back from extinction! Anyone know if these are still made and if not anyone have a set to sell?
George

Still available

Vic asked me to forward this:

"The set will fit the RV4, 6(A), 7(A), 8(A) and standard wing Rocket only. Nothing for the 9, 10 or 12 right now.

They are made of 2 layers of carbon fiber that is vacuum bagged in the mold. Very light and very strong.

The aileron stanchion is precut at 4" back when you get them which gives you 12 parts total. Any part or group is available separately.

$35.00 Fuel vents

$45.00 Fuel drains

$85.00 Aileron stanchions

$165.00 For the set

On any combination add $7.00 for shipping in the lower 48 States

Send a check or US money order to;

Vic Skodzinsky

6425 June Road

Waynesburg, Ohio 44688

Include shipping address and what aircraft you have. I send out USPS priority mail.

I will e-mail you the day they go out.

Let me know if you want a set as I am only making them on demand at this point. It is a 24 hour process to make just one set.

Let me know if you are interested or need more info."

Gary Kohler
Ohio

Pictures please!

How about some pics of the products? I can?t use the hinge covers, but I?d like to see the drain covers!

Glue? RTV?

What are people successfully using to attach the fairings? I made some on my 3D printer and wondering what works. Hoping for firm attachement, but still removable. IOW, epoxy is out. RTV maybe?

Thanks!

My -9A has a set of hinge fairings that I believe the previous owner got from Steve Melton here on VAF. They are pretty nice looking, attach securely, and are apparently quite durable. Only downside is that they’re white and reportedly not very paintable (I haven’t tried).

Quick follow-up: I purchased a set of aileron stanchion fairings from Vic (nice guy...we had a couple nice conversations) and installed them this weekend, in time for the Rocket 100 next week. No time to test yet, but I'll get some idea from the race (and perhaps the X-C to Tejas).

Vic's instructions were good, and with a little bit of fabricating to cut them to fit, the installation was straight forward. I had to modify the outer front fairings a bit, due to a wingtip screw in the way, and since I swap tips for racing, I can't glue the outer flange on that piece anyway...so I'll need to use a little speed tape to hold that part of the flange down.

Here's a few pics:

Both outer and inner, from the side:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520002.jpg

Outer:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520005.jpg

Inner:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520006.jpg

Both, from the front:
Aileron%252520Stanchion%252520Fairings%252520008%252520cropped%2525202.jpg

Fun project. I know Mark (Race 12) and Tom (Race 109) have similar fairings on their EVOs...hoping Wayne (Race 14) doesn't! :p

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
How did you affix the fairings on the aileron? It looks like an incorporated screw on the flap on that side. Anything else? I am at the "finish my wings" stage on my RV-4 and would like to add them now.
L. D.

We used same fairings on Race 57 as Bob has. To attach to the wings I used Red RTV sealant. Solid but removable if needed.

Still available?

Anyone know if these are still available from the gentleman making them?

Thanks.

Ok so it’s been a while now. Has anyone done any testing. The fairings look good, but is there a speed increase and if so how much.

RD

Back