What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing RV7 panel

Maverick972

Well Known Member
I purchased my RV7 18 months ago and I love it, best thing I have done for myself ever...

First I love the avionics in the panel, GRT HXr, TruTrack vision, GRT EIS, Garmin 430w, PS audio panel and IPad mini mount. The switch locations are well thought out and I cannot complain.

But as I fly I can see some inefficiency with EIS and IPad mount. They take up a ton of real estate and I want to add a GRT mini.

My question is how big of a project is it to build a new panel but keep my existing avionics just improve ergonomics if you will.

The reason I am posting in the general area as I thought I may get more insight, please move if not appropriate.

Thanks, Sean

Not hard. A new ~$30 blank panel from Van’s, some time cutting holes and perhaps added a couple of support angles for the radio stack, then paint. Done. This assumes the builder did not do point to point wiring as this makes life very hard. If so, look at this as an opportunity to rewire so future mods and maintenance are easy.

Recommend once you get the blank panel, print out full size versions of the avionics and do trial position on the blank to figure out the new layout.

Carl

Did this last year on my -6A when I went glass

Bought an "oversize" blank from Van's, used my old panel as template for initial sizing and drew a panel on a pc. of plywood. Played with positioning of everything as cardboard cutouts for a couple of weeks before I started cutting the panel.

Took time, but everything is where I like it.

Ron

If you are comfortable with CAD, vans has the drawings available for the panel. Then you can lay everything out and have it cut on a laser or waterjet.

eHangar Panel Designer

I purchased my RV7 18 months ago and I love it, best thing I have done for myself ever...

First I love the avionics in the panel, GRT HXr, TruTrack vision, GRT EIS, Garmin 430w, PS audio panel and IPad mini mount. The switch locations are well thought out and I cannot complain.

But as I fly I can see some inefficiency with EIS and IPad mount. They take up a ton of real estate and I want to add a GRT mini.

My question is how big of a project is it to build a new panel but keep my existing avionics just improve ergonomics if you will.

The reason I am posting in the general area as I thought I may get more insight, please move if not appropriate.

Thanks, Sean

You can use my Panel Designer to get started...www.ehangar.org

I?ve done two panels with these guys, one in an RV-4 another in a WW1 replica BiPlane, if you know what you have and a general layout they can fabricate a custom panel, painted and silk screened with labels at VERY reasonable prices.

Highly recommend Them :

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/instpanels.html

Too lazy to post a pic but PM me w your email and I?ll send one.

Back