What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Burrowing out

Vlad

Well Known Member
Jonas the Snomageddon visited us this weekend. Left more then two feet of white powder. Not a big deal if you live in Siberia but here in the state of New Jersey it was a lot of snow. Today is Sunday perfect flying weather but how can I get my primary transport out?

An excavator to the rescue. 2.5 hours bulldozing and my car is out of the driveway but... the town still ploughs the main streets. We live in the boonies and our secondary roads are always low priority.

Another 1.5 hours and I am inching forward on a slippery main street. Somewhere here is my airport.

My RV!! With rudder attached!!

Holly connolly! It will take me days to dig out.

A T6 pilot to the rescue. This time he is driving this tank.

Thanks Ed! You saved my back!

Two more hours of hard labor and I am clear.

Ran the engine a lot of vibration from the prop. Ice inside the spinner ran the propane preheater to melt it the gas froze in the tank jeez will it ever end?

I left the airport before the dark the guys were still clearing the runway. You are not welcomed here Jonas...

Last edited:
Look closely

Vlad,
At least you made it to the airport. This is my ride (the red you see is the roof of my Miata). It may be days until I get out of the neighborhood. And who knows how long it will take for the runway to clear. Snow removal on our runway is referred to as "spring".

Jim
N444JT
N37PK

Time to add Prop and spinner booties. What are you useing for leading edge tape
seems to be holding up well.
RHill

Not a flake of snow in Central Pa.

Vlad,

Amazingly, we were just miles from the snow line and didn't get a single flake! Sorry, but it was a great flying day up this way.

Jim

Lock Haven, Pa.
7A

That's how I spent my day too...

Can't wait to get the RV10 done and finally get a hangar.

And who knows how long it will take for the runway to clear. Snow removal on our runway is referred to as "spring".

I KNOW about snow removal at that airport!! I was overnight there many years ago in a Sabreliner. Snow started in the evening. Snow removal didn't start until 8:00 am and, of course, stopped for all scheduled breaks and lunch. I and a Merlin were the only ones to get out of there that day after about two thirds of the runway width was finally cleared. Unionized city employees, of course!

Vlad, Got this pic from SkyKing Bob and his lovely bride yesterday. He said he was celebrating "Blizzard Day" in style.:)

Then it really hit and I've not heard from him since. :D

2hcp443.jpg

Vlad, Got this pic from SkyKing Bob and his lovely bride yesterday. He said he was celebrating "Blizzard Day" in style.:)

Then it really hit and I've not heard from him since. :D

2hcp443.jpg

I wouldn't worry about Sky King he got this.

Vlad, it is a silly question given how much you fly period, but you don't have a hangar?

There are no hangars at the airport I am based on.

I didn't think his plane spent enough time on the ground to justify having one.

There is a lot of truth in that joke Dale. Hangar is good for maintenance and preheat but definitely adds to preflight time. Plus you can burn all that money. :D

I was surprised there was so little snow and drifts on your plane. Much better than cars that are completely buried:)

Brings back memories of April 1st 1997 in Boston when we had 24 inches of wet spring snow overnight. My wife was due to give birth to my daughter and luckily did not go into labor until the following week after all the snow was cleared.

Glad I'm down in Texas now!

Vlad you are a trooper

After seeing your pictures of getting out of your drive and then clear out the snow in front of your plane, I can't complain about having to shovel out my drive to get to the street which was clear. We didn't get anything near what you guys more northeast got. I haven't been out to the hangar in over a month because of the cold. I am so not worthy.

It's interesting how no snow piled up on the wings or HS.

That's exactly what I was going to point out ... Where I live, that kind of snow is not uncommon, but usually the airplane has a fair amount of snow on the wings and such ... sometime event the fuselage ...

And here ... nothing! Bizarre ...

The winds were gusting 40+ knots Bob. I had FOUR rudder locks in place and chains tight. :)

Must've been very variable, because otherwise you'd see one side of the plane covered in s now, with the other side nice and clean ...

Though looking at the other pictures here, it does look like there was no prevalent direction to the snow accumulation ... ?

For us in Montreal, 2 ft of snow just means you get to the hockey game a bit late :D There is an RV-8 up here on skis!

Diggin out

There are times when only the high wing will do...

And then are times when the low wing is preferred.

We are almost like Alaska here. Went up after work the air is dense and smooth. Some airports have only runways open.

Some are still digging out. This airport has two intersecting runways buried under 2 feet of snow.

Back