What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access panels for RV-7A with slider

waveflyer

Behind the instrument panel up to the firewall my RV is pretty busy with wires and equipment.
The area under the glare shield is easy to get into with the Dynon screens removed.
The area immediately behind the firewall is far more difficult.
Ideally I would like to have top access to this area similar to that available with a lift up canopy.
Is there a recognised mod to put panels on the top cowling behind the engine cover and in front of the screen without disturbing the ribs?

I did the same thing

Mine are slightly larger than the pictured ones and I am thinking about installing a couple more, on top, similar to what my hangar neighbor has on his -7A.

I have been able to install a Dynon EMS 120 and a TruTrak Vizion 385, as well as some smaller installs, without ever having to get on my back under the panel. Planning a radio stack overhaul and thus contemplating the top panels.

R.

Access panel

I made a single access panel out of fiberglass. (I'm sure I borrowed the idea from someone on VAF. Will try to dig up pictures if you're curious.) Panel is about 14x6 centered between the windscreen and the firewall allowing access to the back of radio installation and various other stuff. Making the panel out of fiberglass allowed me to hide various GPS and Mx antennas underneath, easy to get to and out of sight.

I personally would not cut any panels in the skin forward of the windshield on my slider. I enjoy this area being dry if I fly through some rain and the ability to seal a panel to keep water out would difficult.

When laying out my slider panel and equipment I tried to located everything as low as possible. Now I realize that I have instruments at the top of my panel, but all of the wires come from the bottom. If I have to work on my panel I remove the seat backs (approx 1 minute per side) and I have some foam padding to put in the footwell area and seat area that levels it out and makes it very comfortable to lay down and work on anything behind the panel. I even updated my panel from all analog to a Dynon D100 EFIS using this method. All of my wire bundles route along the bottom edges of the bulkheads and are not visible or ever get in the way of normal operation.

Just my 2 cents.

Alternatives

May I suggest swing down panels, hinged at the firewall and secured to the mid subpanel with 2 Camlocs. Unlocking the Camlocs allows the panel to swing down resting on the pedals bar and allows good access to the wiring and plugs.
By pulling the hinge pin the whole unit can be removed. Mine has VP-Pro on one panel and Dynon back up batteries, transponder and Live battery bus on the other. The balance of the items (EMS, SV-HUB etc, are mounted on the mid panel and, as you mentioned, are easily accessed with the screens removed.
Cheers,
Mick Dundee
RV-7A Finished and going places ....
Electronics%20and%20Wiring%20002%20sml_zps6wht53qx.jpg

Electronics%20and%20Wiring%20122%20sml_zpsrejtxgza.jpg

May I suggest swing down panels, hinged at the firewall and secured to the mid subpanel with 2 Camlocs. Unlocking the Camlocs allows the panel to swing down resting on the pedals bar and allows good access to the wiring and plugs.
By pulling the hinge pin the whole unit can be removed. Mine has VP-Pro on one panel and Dynon back up batteries, transponder and Live battery bus on the other. The balance of the items (EMS, SV-HUB etc, are mounted on the mid panel and, as you mentioned, are easily accessed with the screens removed.
Cheers,
Mick Dundee

Instead of going thru the work to make the panels swing down, why not just mount the equipment on the bottom side of the panel? The equipment will work just a good upside down, with the eception of AhRS or something similar.

Cheers,
Mick Dundee

Be sure to safety wire those hinge pins! Having those components fall down around your feet while flying would not be a good thing.

Thanks for so much interest. Access panels are the way for me just to make things so much easier.
I really would be grateful for any pictures of existing installations on you own aircraft or any others.

Couple of things:

Van will never approve of this, the front skin is a structural component of the airframe.

I have never seen any example of how this effects the airframe in an accident although it most likely isn't positive.

For your own good, get some engineering done to design around the weekness you are creating by cutting holes into the skin.

With all of that said, I did the alteration you are asking about and did the above planning. I have no idea how the skin will react in an accident but I don't think it would be good anyway. Your decision is your decision.

https://picasaweb.google.com/103398...authkey=Gv1sRgCPKvmN7QzOLw9AE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a 7A tip up and he installed about a 6x6 opening on the outside bay on the passenger side. He stores a quart of oil, wheel chocks and a rag in there. He has been flying it for a while with no ill effects.

I did call Vans and asked about this mod and they thought it would be interesting but they have not looked into it.

I am planning to install on my 6A. I believe that I can install with a gasket around the whole perimeter to prevent any water intrusion. Cannot be any worse than a tipup.

Thanks for so much interest. Access panels are the way for me just to make things so much easier.
I really would be grateful for any pictures of existing installations on you own aircraft or any others.
Here are some pics of my installation. If memory serves me correctly the openings are 11X7 inches:

IMG_1946%25255B1%25255D.JPG

IMG_1945%25255B1%25255D.JPG

As for weatherstripping, I use RTV it seals the weather out to my satisfaction, but then, I do not fly IMC either.

Thanks to everybody for contributing, that gives me plenty of information to modify my 7.
Special thanks to Paul K for access to his website and for making so much useful information available to others.

Through the panel

On my new 7 Slider, I have a custom carbon panel with 2 AFS 5500 screens. The panel required extensive modification of the sub panel and bulkhead supports. With lots of planning I was able to make virtually everything accessible through the EFIS openings. There is only one component that would be tough to get to.

Just my own personal view but those RV's that I've seen with panels just don't look that good. Further the potential for water to get in is too great. The clean front is one of the things I really like about the RV.

Through some careful planning you can make most accessible without cutting access panels. Also, if you look at the access panels, there really isn't that much access.

Access panels

If you ever have to work on the back of the brake reservoir or anything else high up on the inside of the firewall the access panels would be very handy. Look around at certified aircraft for ideas, many have access panels in structural areas. On mine I fabricated a additional spacer out of .032 alum to put between the deck skin and nut plate doubler. This allows room for a molded in place .032" thick proseal gasket. Pm me for details.

Don B

RV 9 Rebuild in Progress

Van's Access Cover Reuse

Based on a post from a few years ago, I purchased two sets of RV-10 wing access covers from Van's (I think VA-195D cover and VA-195C doubler). They are about 4" x 4", which isn't real big; I put them where my firewall pass-through's are located in 7A slider. The pre-punched parts makes layout easy.

access panel kit available

Check out mrrace.com. Go to products section fourth product down. The gentleman behind the website is George Race who is well known in the Zenith community. When I was confronted with the same concern, I contacted him and we put together a kit he is now offering for RVs. The benefit is that they are CNC cut with nutplates installed. This makes it easy to install straight. My concern was that since I had already riveted the top skin on I was worried about being slightly off and having to stare at it everytime I flew. The kit install was straightforward and I am so pleased with it. I too have two dropdown panels however they are still a challenge to get to. The pilot stick is not removable and the passenger stick is uncomfortable without lots of foam. I have had to work on my VPX sport which required removing it a few time. I was so greatful I did this mod.
2q3xav4.jpg

24dftoy.jpg
[/IMG]

Richard Rivera
Ormond Beach, Florida

I am planning to copy this idea that I have seen on an RV-7A. I plan to not use a piano hinge. I am thinking of using the "dogbone style of hinge that will enable a full gasket to be fitted.

Installed door on RV-7A

Before you cut: I have to say that the panel dive is MUCH more comfortable on my plane (9A) now that the upholstery and carpet are installed. Bruising and soreness are greatly reduced. Just configure/mount all components with access from the bottom in mind and remove the right stick for more room. Put some extra blankets in there, and it's downright cushy.

Back