What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ForeFlight Stratus 2 Demo on a Extreme Crosswind Day

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
After several weeks of bad weather, we took the opportunity to go up and try out our new ADS-B Transceiver. We also purchased the Stratus 2 ADS-B Receiver for our iPad. This ADS-B Transceiver also has WiFi for the WingX Pro7 app, which we haven't tried out yet, but it does give the copilot and passengers the option to use either the ForeFlight app or the Wingx app. On this particular day, we had an extreme crosswind, straight across the runway at 17 mph, gusting to 23 mph. I asked my instructor, who has over 5,000 hours of flight time, to take us up for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZxufss2h_Y

Traffic display on video

First, excellent video and flying.

What hardware do you have that brings traffic to your IPad? You mentioned your new transponder. Does the transponder have extended squitter out that triggers the ground stations to send to you the traffic?

Thanks! We enjoyed making the video. The ForeFlight app gets the traffic from the Stratus 2 (on the suction cup on the windshield). The new transponder was required for the Navworx ADS-B box installation, located in the back of the airplane. The Navworx box has wifi that sends both ADS-B in and out information to a different iPad app called Wingx. I didn't use the Wingx iPad app in this video. I plan to try out the Wingx app on the next video I make. So, in this video, the Navworx box was used only to send out my position to other aircraft. I used ForeFlight and the Stratus 2 to pull in ADS-B traffic from other aircraft in the area, to do a demo it alone. My plan is to help others decide which setup they would like to have in their aircraft, the ForeFlight app with the Stratus 2, or the Wingx app with the Navworx box transmitting ADS-B info via wifi. The benefit of the Navworx ADS-B and the associated Wingx app on the iPad, is that you have the complete package, transmitting your position and being to see traffic on your iPad, all at the same time. Hope all this makes sense.

Back