What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Maps of RVs in the US

mill2978

Well Known Member
I am GIS(computer mapping) professional as my day job. I saw the RV white pages and couldn't resist making a few maps.

This shows US RVs that are in the white pages*
2013-04-10

Then I took the points and created a high level density map

2013-04-10

TX has a lot of RV activity and the DFW area has the highest concentration of RVs in the US.

*please don't think this is any real analysis, AK got cut out to make the map easier to read, there is missing data, cartographic errors, etc. It's just me having some fun

what is that big white thing at the top????? :)

Aaron, that is really neat.....any chance you could add a few dots north of that imaginary line eh?
....I'm sure there are a lot of unregistered guys here, but some fields seem to have about half the hangars filled with RV's.... and/or projects... underway!
( probably little chance of us 'taking over' the confederacy... however!)

Very cool!! Can you make it interactive? Make it show what model RV is under each dot and perhaps contact info? Perhaps break those maps down even further....say a map for each stage of build as the white pages have. ie emp, wings, fuse, finish, flying...

Very nicely done - thanks.

Note to Doug - white pages have some stale info. Can't think of how to fix that, but inevitably changes over time.

Dan

[ed. Dan, I have Audrey lined up to do some updates here in the near future. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool!! Can you make it interactive? Make it show what model RV is under each dot and perhaps contact info? Perhaps break those maps down even further....say a map for each stage of build as the white pages have. ie emp, wings, fuse, finish, flying...

I could, but not without some help from Doug and some time. I didn't have the source data and I don't have an adobe license. To do this I had to take the PDF, convert it to word, write a macro to pull the tables from the word doc into excel where I cleaned it up a bit. Then I used my GIS software, geocoded to the city level, used the resulting point data set to make a point density map and then made it look nice.

Probably more than you wanted to know...

I was in a hangar in Boone, Iowa in December to pick up my wing kit and there were 9 RV's just in that one hangar, and apperently only one of them has registered in the white pages. There was a lot of knowledge in that hangar, I hope people know about them that are building up there.

Last edited:
Nice!

Hey thanks Aaron....looks like there are 7.03 or more RV's somehwere around here???? :) ( map view might be shifted a bit east, but you said it's not exact!)

there are a lot of projects and planes that just aren't on the VAF radar, I'm always amazed that guys build almost the entire thing without joining EAA or RAA or any of the type clubs like this one! I guess that speaks to the quality of the kit and Van's support, but sheesh, I would be lost..... on page 1 .....without all of your input and help!

I wondered why the southern several hundred miles of Texas were not included, I had never heard of the "White Pages"! I added mine on, but noticed that the white pages only has about half of the RV's.

Here you go, I changed it to a more Canada friendly view

RVs+in+CAN.png

RVs+in+CAN_choro.png

I'm happy to see that here in New Brunswick we have the highest concentration in Canada!....There are five RV's at our little strip outside Fredericton, and more in the area.

Joe Hine

I'm happy to see that here in New Brunswick we have the highest concentration in Canada!....There are five RV's at our little strip outside Fredericton, and more in the area.

Joe Hine

I have to say, the Canada map surprised me. I was expecting concentrations more around the Toronto area, but it looks like Montreal and Ottawa beat out Toronto. Why so many in NB, I wonder.

World map in a few days

I can do that, it will be a couple of days. I am at airport about to head to Las Vegas for a few days of R&R :)

I was surprised to see that we here in the Maritimes are leaders at anything, in Canada at least.

Wichita Falls, TX is a bit under-represented in the data... there are 8 flying RVs at my little airport (F14) and another one under construction.

World Map

Any chance of a world map ?
Great job on what you have done.

Here is a world map made from the whitepages(before the update). I had a lot more geocoding failures because of spelling/foreign formatting, almost 10% compared to 1% in North America.

RVs_world.png

Thankyou Aaron !!
Does each green block = 1 Rv or can it be multi RV ?
We have 7 Rvs on my local field ( YCAB )

Thankyou Aaron !!
Does each green block = 1 Rv or can it be multi RV ?
We have 7 Rvs on my local field ( YCAB )

If they have the same city listed then they will geocode to the same location and appear as a single point. That was part of the reason for the density maps.

I just got a copy of the refreshed data [ed. SEMI-refreshed! dr :^)]and I am going to see what I can do with it, hopefully something a little more interactive.

Aaron

Last edited by a moderator:
Back