What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fifth Annual Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's - And Mitch Lock Day - June 10th

bullojm1

Well Known Member
For the fifth consecutive year, EAA Chapter 1384 is sponsoring the Mid-Atlantic Gathering of RV's. This year we are putting a twist on our event and hosting it in tandem with Mitch Lock Day in cooperation with Chesapeake Sport Pilots at W29 (Bay Bridge Airport) on Saturday, June 10th. The event will start at 1000 and will go until 1400.

Food and Drinks will be available, along with FUN FOR EVERYONE! The event has been a GREAT SUCCESS the last four years (see threads http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=99800, http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=112928, http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=128715 and http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=136913).

Other Mitch Lock Day Thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=149699

Gathering2017_800x555.jpg

Hope to see a bunch of VAF'er there!!! More details to follow.

Only 5 days until the 5th annual gathering of RV's at W29. Long range weather looks nothing short of SPECTACULAR!

I've been to the Bay Bridge airport before, but never to an RV gathering. Looking forward to my first one!

Fifth Annual Mid-Atlantic Gatering of RV's/Mitch Lock Day

Saturday is looking very promising and we already have a number of RV's registered on the Chesapeake Sport Pilot Facebook web page. Just some notes for Bay Bridge Airport arrivals. We will be using both sides of the runway for RV parking. Look for the ground crew with the orange batons and follow their direction.

If Runway 29 is in use, please make your downwind leg over the white water tower south of the field to avoid flying over noise sensitive area. (this tower sits near the waters edge on the bay)

EAA Chapter Members will be wearing a Navy Blue EAA Polo Shirt with EAA Chapter 1384 on the sleeve. Any questions can be addressed by them.

Safe travels and see everyone Saturday!

Steve

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing a lot of RV's on Saturday.

Heads up for W29, Bay Bridge Airport, they have a some noise abatement proceedures that everyone is asked to follow. Most important to know is that the left pattern for Rnwy 29 is a 2nm offset from the runway (2nm X-Wind and 2nm Base legs). Use the water tower South of the runway for guidance.
Document

Runway 29 Departures / Arrivals

• Climb to 700 feet and 1 mile before turning X-Wind.
  • Extend X-Wind to 2 miles before turning downwind, reference water tank for turns.
  • Avoid over flight of Bay City neighborhood (depicted as yellow area south of airport).

Runway 11 Departures

• Turn left 10 degrees when able and follow Route 50 on climb-out.
  • Departing aircraft climb to 1,000 feet before turning.

Oh, yay! I can sort of fly in to this one: I will get in my plane in my hangar and make airplane noises and then exit and walk down the flightline to greet you all! (My simple engine monitor installation I started in February is turning into a six month major re-do of the cockpit and electrical system, what with the rest of life getting in the way).

Regarding the noise abatement for 29, my local knowledge says turn from crosswind to downwind around the water tower, don't cut anyone off on downwind or base, but if you are number one on downwind or from the 45, angle your downwind as you avoid the neighborhood to a reasonable base / constant turn to final. Be cognizant of training flights making big dadgum rectangles.

If anyone needs any help this weekend text area code 410 and then the seven digits in my signature.

Welcome to my island!

Last edited:
Due to a QB event scheduled for the same day, I'm sad to misss this one. Always enjoyed the past gatherings.

Only 5 days until the 5th annual gathering of RV's at W29. Long range weather looks nothing short of SPECTACULAR!

Sorry Mike, I have to pass again this year. I'm in the middle of a panel upgrade. The new screens arrive Friday and my old ones are someplace between here and Maui.

Fifth Mid Atlantic Gathering of RVs

For those of you flying into Bay Bridge Airport and like Maryland crab cakes,we have 2 restaurants within walking distance. The Crab Shack is just outside the airport and for a water view try Hemingways. Fly down, visit Mitch and take some crab cakes home to the family! We will have burgers and dogs at the fly in for when you arrive. See you all on Saturday!'

Steve

Saturday is looking absolutely great for our fly-in. Thanks too Doug for posting it on the front page of VAF today. Quick reminder. 1000 arrival. 1100 seminar on New ICAO Flight Plan. Noon lunch and 1300 Seminar on the Ins and Outs of ADS-B.

Safe travels!!
Steve

The event was great fun and so much of the credit goes to EAA Chapter 1384 for all their hard work making the event safe and enjoyable. Mitch was as gracious as ever and it was great to meet his family.

There were lots of planes, people, food, a little bike repair, and people taking pictures (even people taking pictures of people taking pictures).

I took my little point-n-shoot and have some lo-fi pictures to remember the event :D

Last edited:
Mitch Lock Celebration

Sunburn, burgers, dogs and somewhere North of 75 RVs were in attendance to wish Mitch and his family a HARDY SENDOFF to the great northwest (otherwise known as the birthplace of RV Country!! An accurate count of arriving RV's was lost after 75 due to the continuous onslaught of arrivals and rumor that our parking crew ran out of fingers and toes to help keep track!

It is no surprise that the attendance records were shattered from our previous Mid-Atlantic Gathering which reflects the admiration, love and appreciation we all have for this man who has been our friend and now heads off to command Vans Aircraft. Mitch was presented a wooden plaque by Helen Woods "owner of Chesapeake Sport Pilot" that depicted the Maryland flag and a crab as a reminder of his Maryland heritage. Mitch also was honored with our EAA Chapter 1384 polo shirt. Mitch thanked the 120 plus pilots and guests in attendance and was touched by the heart felt tribute.

Thanks to all of you, our RV family, for making this year's gathering so special and to Helen Woods and her Chesapeake Sport Pilot team for the great hospitality and seminars. Finally, we would like to say thank you to the members of EAA Chapter 1384, a great team of pilots and friends who helped make our Fifth Mid-Atlantic RV Gathering the best yet.

Last but not least, Special thanks go to Doug Reeves, for this outstanding RV community site and posting our Fly-in information so prominently on Fridays' page.

Steve
EAA Chapter 1384

First and foremost a big personal thank you to Mike for showing me your build and giving me some practice metal.

I went and had a great time seeing all the finished RVs. I was in the FBO when some woman who lives near an airport​ called in to express her surprise at planes flying overhead. Got a chance to talk with Mitch and see a new part of Maryland.

5 out of 5. Would do again

Got incoming VansAircraft President, Mitch Loch, to pose by this beautiful RV-3 renovated by Bruce Barrett yesterday at the Bay Bridge airport send off.

All the best to him and his family as they head west !

Mugsy
kfezQrp_PCaouA_18HRNDa2oktz7CywmF5Z4vT1D3_eQPgl8D7_gKu_M28eBVPPjisfBDRC2GsUj-UuaCrFCur4gvmisQtjxsGBhC0uLi42dMkmjkObez7d-6IfiZJC7bmAPWZxnlLeibBVwXasmxXjs

Great photo!

For those of you who want pictures that look like they were taken this century, here's a bunch courtesy of Chesapeake Sport Pilots. Thanks all for coming! The count was 75 RV's!

DSC_0099.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0116.JPG

DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0144.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0155.JPG

To everyone who attended the fly in on Saturday,

With all of our hearts, my family and I wish to thank you so very much for taking your time to come and share this day with us. Old memories were relived and new ones were made. It truly was one of the best days of my life.

A special thanks go out to the folks who talked with my wife and daughter about our move. She was unbelievably touched by your concern and compassion over such a tremendous change in life. The support you have shown her is priceless.

I cannot even begin to thank Helen Woods, owner of Chesapeake Sport Pilot. Her dedication to Van's Aircraft is unparalleled and her friendship is a valued treasure.

To Steve Koziol of EAA Chapter 1384 and Mike Regan, thank you guys for taking your time and efforts to organize this event. It would not have been such a great day without your touch.

So it's off to Oregon with a new adventure in aviation and a new chapter of life. I thank God everyday that my life's book still has many pages yet to be read.

Bless you all!

Back