What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel systems

navy06

My RV3 was purchased less engine but had flown 200 hours. I have now flown it 500 hours on the 0235 C1 I installed. When installing the engine I decided to go with two Russell fuel filters which have a fine mesh disk like a gascolator and did not install a gascolator (discussed with Vans before doing this). One filter per tank mounted to main spar just before fuel selector. It’s worked perfectly for 500 hours. They are a little trouble to remove and clean at annual so I am looking into removing the disk filter element from both and installing a single exact same filter between fuel selector and electric boost pump. This would be very easy to remove and clean even more often than annually and provide same filter. Over the years a small amount of debris found in filters about same as you would expect to see in a gascolator a very very small inconsequential amount. My question is what are people doing for fuel screening on their RV’s with similar fuel systems.

Here is photo of the above mentioned filter. It screws together and has a mesh disk like a gascolator and is 40 microns which compares to most gascolators which are 75 or so microns.

Attachments

• 783F2520-5DC6-4858-A57F-419D046395A9.png
    783F2520-5DC6-4858-A57F-419D046395A9.png
    289 KB · Views: 78
Here is photo of the above mentioned filter. It screws together and has a mesh disk like a gascolator and is 40 microns which compares to most gascolators which are 75 or so microns.

I use similar filters from Summit Racing in the wing roots on my 7. Same experience as you with debris in the screen (very little in the 5yrs/600hrs flown). Just clean them out during my annual. Going to do the same on the 8 I am building.

JIm---see how much room you have between the selector valve and the boost pump, then find a filter with the micron rating recommended by the 'experts'.
Holley makes several--the -562s that we use are 3.5 body length (without the AN816-6-6D nipples) and have a 40 micron full screen filter. Summit has a big variety, Phenix through Spruce has some of theirs.

Once you find what you want, its relatively easy to plumb.

Tom

Back