What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Comparing it all

skidmk

Well Known Member
Hi All,

a ton of information is out there, I'm finding as I start planning the panel that there is actually too much. I think one of the best things we can do, is to have people who are using the equipment and the myriad of combinations out there to tell us about what they like and what they don't.

for instance, my plan is currently (you know its subject to change :D) a 2 phase attack 1. will be a grand rapids efis (or Advanced or Blue mountain, or chelton), a GR engine moniter, a SL30, txpndr, ap, and a handheld gps. The second phase would see another efis (the dynon) with the pitch ap the garmin 300xl and an audio panel. (for the IFR)

What I'm looking for is the redundancy available by using different efis with vor/gps nav on separate buses, both being fed by the same ap and same radios. One radio (lets say the sl30) would be on one and the 300xl would be on the other. If one of the efis starts to wander, turn on the ap figure out which efis is accurate and land.

Am I missing anything for IFR redundancy, does one of the efis's do this better than others? If cost is not a factor is the GR better than the Chelton, better than the Advanced etc etc?

Does the GR work better with the SL 30 or does dynon? or blue mountain...

lets talk it up :D

This is what I have, my understanding is BM still have bugs to work out,and the GRT works the best with my tru trac. 70 plus hours and my set up works great.

As with anything electronic, there is always something new. Deal with a reputable supplier, and they won't steer you wrong! I dealt with Stien Air. I told them what I planned to use the plane for, what I wanted to spend, and what functions were most impotant. I couldn't be happier. And after 50 hours of flying I wouldn't change a thing.

Compare

DITTO! on Stein Air.

I wanted to use the GRT with Tru-Trak as they were co-designed to work together. I'm a Retired GI, (read "have to budget") so I ended up with Dynon instead and I love it. Couldn't afford a 430 so I installed an old KLN-90B that I bought on E-bay. Coupled that to the Tru-Trak. The sum total makes this old country boy happy.

Back