What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3D Printer GPS Antenna Glare Solution

Tom Gan

Posting this to the forum in case anyone wants to consider this as a solution to GPS antenna windscreen glare. I have two GPS antennas that are mounted inside my tip-up canopy in my RV9-A. One is for the Skyview and the other one is for my GTN-650.

I've beeen flying with that annoying windshield glare from both white pucks for a while and from time to time I have considered painting both units flat black or putting a fabric cover wrap. There are mixed reviews on painting the Dynon and specifically called out not to paint the Garmin GPS unit.

Regardless, I wanted a solution that was not permanent and could be removed if I park on the ramp in the summer so that the GPS antennas don't absorb as much heat. I also wanted to be able to replace the cover if needed.

With all of that said, I picked up a 3D printer earlier this year and took a local tech school class in SolidWorks. With the free student edition available for EAA members I started considering projects to 3D Print.

A few weeks ago, I emailed the folks at Dynon and being their usual great customer support they posted their 3D model on their website.
The Dynon GPS antenna has compound curves and having their 3D model makes it very easy to create a shell in Solidworks.

I took a different approach to creating a shell with the Garmin GPS antenna. I just took the dimensions from their documentation and with a few
minor adjustments to the size, I create a model without compound curves.

Tried a few thicknesses of the shells and landed on 0.050in.

The printed models require supports so the pictures are right out of the printer without any sanding or prep. Since I printed using PLA vs. ABS I also spray painted the covers wtih flat black to give some UV protection.

IMG_1002_zpsybtl0inh.jpg

IMG_1001_zpszwlbsyng.jpg

IMG_1003_zpspxqp1mfp.jpg

IMG_1004_zpszq3igjzn.jpg

IMG_1005_zpssqhesi8i.jpg

I have not test flown with the covers on yet. Interested to see if putting a painted plastic shell on top of the Garmin GPS antenna vs. painting the unit directly (which is not recommended) has any effect. Another reason to make these removable if you are flying in IMC.

If you don't have a 3D printer there are numerous websites that will do the print for you as a service.

I am afraid the black plastic cover will simply radiate the heat it will absorb directly to the antennae underneath it. Preventing heat build up is the real reason Garmin does not want their puck painted. I think you would be better served if you were to just relocate the antennas to a different location to get them out of your view while flying.

Paint it

I sprayed my Dynon puck with flat black paint...can't remember the brand or type. Seems to work fine.

Second Paul's comment. I tried making some PLA stuff for my truck, and it essentially melted in the Las Vegas heat. It gets hot in there in the sun. ABS has held up well, though, so you might consider switching materials.

Thought about just painting the puck but I was concerned about the heat as others have posted so that is why I opted for the shell so I could remove it. Glad to see someone has painted the antenna without issue. I assume it is flat black or grey color.

The glare is mostly an issue when I have a passenger and they take pictures. I'll try the ABS route vs. PLA and see during the summer how things work out.

Thought also about relocating both of the antennas but wanted to experiment with an easier solution for now.

Thanks to everyone for feedback.

The easiest solution remains covering the antenna with a lightweight black cloth. The cloth can be a stretchy, somewhat open weave that lets air move, thus helps ensure minimal temperature rise. Total time to cover an antenna is about 5 minutes, and requires a pair of scissors, a bit of cloth and a bit of glue like Goop to hold the cloth to the underside of the antenna. Very easy to do.

Back