What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Badlands Flyin 2010

ddddsp

Well Known Member
I saw this on the HOME page but did not see a thread. I am thrilled Larry decided to have this flyin again and will be attending. Hoping to bring 2 more RV10's & an RV7 too.

Badlands RV Fly-In Update...Sept 10-12
Vetterman Exhaust Inc. and HSR Fueling will host the 2nd annual RV fly in on Sept. 10-11-12. at the Hot Springs (HSR) Airport. The list of scheduled events are as follows: Fri evening Buffalo Burger burn at the airport, hosted by Vetterman Exhaust and HSR Fueling. Saturday AM flying tour of the Black Hills area including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, and Wall Drug. Saturday evening banquet at the Allen Ranch. Steak dinner with all the trimmings in a beautiful setting along with a Country Western band for dinner entertainment. Plan on a fun filled weekend and bring your own tie downs. More information on motels etc will follow.
Larry Vetterman

Lets start a list....................who else is planning on being there besides the Texas Tech madman Russ Daves? lol
Dean 805HL

Jay Pratt & Carol

Jay Pratt and Carol were there last year. We will try to go again in September. We almost could not get there because of low celings last time. Hope the weather Gods will 'shine' ;) on us this time.

Badlands Flyin

I was there last year, will be there this year too. I had a great time and loved the scenery.

Don Orrick
N410JA

Badlands 2010

Ann and I will be returning again with our daughter, Meaghan, and son-in-law, Kevin. One is expecting a child and the other is expecting delivery of an RV-6A to start his flight training. Life is grand.

Richard & Sherri

We made the trip last year and had a great time even with the weather issues. We have it on our schedule this year and are crossing our fingers for good weather. We plan on leaving Vettermans and flying on to Park City Utah (Heber City Municipal Airport) to visit our Daughter. This will be our first trip to Utah in the RV.

Hope to see you all at the 2nd annual.

Let's do it again

Was there last year and had a great time. The trip back to Fort Collins was a little dicey for a non-IFR guy like me, but that's life. Looking forward to actually doing the round robin Larry planned out. Hope we have a few more RVs this year. Don, be sure to bring your jacket this time, in case it rains.

Dennis Mitchell
RV6A
2 prior RV6's
What can I say...I like 'em.

We have it on our schedule this year and are crossing our fingers for good weather. We plan on leaving Vettermans and flying on to Park City Utah (Heber City Municipal Airport) to visit our Daughter. This will be our first trip to Utah in the RV.

Rick,

Maybe Carol and I can fly to Heber City with you. We have stashed 'Shooter' out there and would like to fly it again before the snow flies.

Heber City

We have it on our schedule this year and are crossing our fingers for good weather. We plan on leaving Vettermans and flying on to Park City Utah (Heber City Municipal Airport) to visit our Daughter. This will be our first trip to Utah in the RV.

Rick,

Maybe Carol and I can fly to Heber City with you. We have stashed 'Shooter' out there and would like to fly it again before the snow flies.

Jay,

That would be perfect! We've never been out that way and would welcome the company and guidance. Now lets hope the weather is better this year.

Look forward to seeing you guys again.

Cheers,

I saw this on the HOME page but did not see a thread. I am thrilled Larry decided to have this flyin again and will be attending. Hoping to bring 2 more RV10's & an RV7 too.

Badlands RV Fly-In Update...Sept 10-12
Vetterman Exhaust Inc. and HSR Fueling will host the 2nd annual RV fly in on Sept. 10-11-12. at the Hot Springs (HSR) Airport. The list of scheduled events are as follows: Fri evening Buffalo Burger burn at the airport, hosted by Vetterman Exhaust and HSR Fueling. Saturday AM flying tour of the Black Hills area including Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Spearfish Canyon, Devils Tower, Bear Butte, and Wall Drug. Saturday evening banquet at the Allen Ranch. Steak dinner with all the trimmings in a beautiful setting along with a Country Western band for dinner entertainment. Plan on a fun filled weekend and bring your own tie downs. More information on motels etc will follow.
Larry Vetterman

Lets start a list....................who else is planning on being there besides the Texas Tech madman Russ Daves? lol
Dean 805HL

Can't make it from FL this year, maybe next. I grew up in Hastings, NE so it might be a good excuse to fly up to see Mom.

Bill Near

Badlands fly-in

If the weather looks I good I'll be flying in from Michigan. Looking forward to the hotel information, do they have car rentals on site?

Thanks,
Gary
N715AB
RV-7A

Last year we cancelled due to weather but Jo and I plan to be there this year. We're soo looking forward to it!

Jo & Larry Griffin
Lubbock, TX
RV-7A N74LG

VERY interested in making the trip weather permitting. Looking forward to more info!

Peter K
9A-Union City TN

Just made the trip to Oshkosh with the new bird and looking for a reason to stretch its wings again! My wife and I are planning to be there. Looking forward to meeting some fellow RVators, flying over some beautiful country and having a couple of cold ones (after the flying of course). See you all there.

49clipper

Is there any more info on this trip, like rental cars. The nearest I have seen is 47 miles away. Transportation to hotels, etc.? The wife and I would like to come, but need some more info. We found two hotels within six miles.

More Info - Hotels & Reservations

TAKEN FROM FRONT PAGE - VAFWWW
"Motels: Holiday Inn Express 605 7454411. Best Western 605 745 7378. Budget Host 605 745 3130. We are recommending the Holiday Inn as the first choice as it will make transportation easy if most folks stay at one place.
Camping: Camping at the airport ala Oshkosh style is allowed. Also there are 2 tipis available at the Allen Ranch if any one would like a pure camping experience. contact www.gwtc.net/allenranch/ or email [email protected]
Food: The Allen Ranch will cook the Saturday evening meal and are well known for their great food. You will have a choice of steak or salmon for the main course.
Transportation: there are no car rental companies in Hot Springs so again this year we will use POV's and church buses to get you to and from your motels.
Pre-registration. We will need an exact number of people attending so are requiring that you contact us at [email protected] or [email protected] or via phone at 605 745 5932 or 605 745 6553 and let us know you are attending and your choice of menu items ie. steak or salmon. If we prepare food for 60 and 100 show up it will not be a good situation so please pre-register.
Tie downs. Remember that we will park many RV-s on the grass adjacent to the taxi ways and ramp area so BRING YOUR TIE DOWNS.
Requirement: It is required that you come and enjoy Hot Springs, the Black Hills, Wall Drug and the Badlands. See you on the 10th of Sept.
Larry Vetterman"

I made a reservation this morning at the Holiday Inn by calling direct and got a rate of $85.99. UPDATE 8/17/10 called Holiday Inn and they confirmed that they changed my rate to the Larry Vetterman Block room rate of $69.99. Car rentals are probably available at Custer (20 miles north) with Welikit Car & Camper Rentals 1-888-978-2267. We rented with them last year for Saturday pickup and they were great. Let us drop off the car at the airport in Custer and leave the keys under the floor mat when we left and they picked up the car on Monday and only charged us for the one day rental.

Last edited:
TIPI Bed and Breakfast

Since the dinner is at the Allen Ranch this year and it is located close to the airport, Sherri and I are going to stay there. I have two of the TIPI Bed and Breakfasts reserved for two days. So far we have 5 in our party but not sure how many will stay in the TIPI. Sounds like it could be fun. When I spoke to them last week, there were 2 TIPIs still available and tent camping is allowed by the TIPIs. Come join us! Here it is right from the Web site.

http://www.gwtc.net/~allenranch/tipibb.htm
We are offering a unique outdoor experience with a Native American ? Cowboy flair. A nights stay in a beautiful tipi, nestled near a pine tree forest and warm water river.

Spacious tipi can easily sleep 4 people. we will furnish cots, sleeping bags, pillows, blankets and towels. lanterns or flashlights.

Guests are encouraged to enjoy the warm water river with free tubing and hiking trails.

Next morning awaken to a wonderful cowboy breakfast.

BY RESERVATION ONLY ? 2 PERSON MINIMUM $40.00 PER PERSON.

Upstream from the Tipi Village, Allen Ranch also offers spacious sites for RVs, Trailers, and Campers that border the edge of Fall River - plenty of shade.

Just found this, Sharon has never flown with me and thought this sounded fun, so we're going to try and make it...

Holiday Inn has rooms for $70, they said they are almost full and that the response has been great. Be sure to mention the Badlands Fly-in (I am sure they will figure it out as I doubt there's much else happening in Hot Springs :))

Don't forget

If you want to eat Saturday night don't forget to register in advance and be sure and bring your tie downs.

FROM LARRY VETTERMAN'S POST:

Food: The Allen Ranch will cook the Saturday evening meal and are well known for their great food. You will have a choice of steak or salmon for the main course.
Transportation: there are no car rental companies in Hot Springs so again this year we will use POV's and church buses to get you to and from your motels.
Pre-registration. We will need an exact number of people attending so are requiring that you contact us at [email protected] or [email protected] or via phone at 605 745 5932 or 605 745 6553 and let us know you are attending and your choice of menu items ie. steak or salmon. If we prepare food for 60 and 100 show up it will not be a good situation so please pre-register.
Tie downs. Remember that we will park many RV-s on the grass adjacent to the taxi ways and ramp area so BRING YOUR TIE DOWNS.

LARRY VETTERMAN

Ann and I will be bring our daughter and son-in-law for the second time. Had a blast last year.

WX check

The winds around various airports near KHSR are all over the place, some calm, some gusting to 40+ knots. My airplane normals stays in the hangar when the winds start getting up in the 20's.

Any insight on what's expected or typical from the locals?

Back