What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint problem

rwarre

Well Known Member
I decided to refit and repaint my gear leg intersection fairings, and long story short, the paint grew air bubbles upon drying. I have painted small pieces before and no problems. What might have caused this? Used jet glow products.

This is usually an issue of "out gassing" caused by the primer or undercoating not being fully cured or a solvent not being totally evaporated from the base coating. What was the exact process you used including products and times between them?

Almost forgot, what was the temp when you were painting? Bubbles can happen if your reducer is rated for hotter temps than exist when you use it and you don't give the primer or sealer time to cure completely.

I wiped the parts with a rag dampened with MEK. That was probably my mistake.

I highly doubt mek was the problem, unless you sprayed nano-seconds after after applying before it evaporated.

Paul identified the two most likely causes.

For example, Smooth Prime requires three weeks for out gassing.

For best assistance, describe how you handled pin holes and what products you applied before the Jetglo.

Bob

the outside layer drying prior to the base coats and or uncured primers. the solvents are trapped and cause this.. make sure your reducer is the correct temperature and you lay ups are not to thick with adequate flash times between coats but not too long..stay with the manufactures specs on this stuff. if you let it flash too long you have to wait overnight.

Back