What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fuel cap opener?

scsmith

Well Known Member
I landed at Bryce Canyon airport a couple of months ago, and the fuel truck guy had a very handy plastic opener that worked great to open the RV fuel caps. It fit on his key chain.

I have always used a car key, but this nifty plastic opener was way better.

Anyone know about these? where to get them?

I think Spruce is where I bought mine years ago Steve. Be prepared for sticker shock though - it's just a piece of plastic after all.... I wanted a couple more, and made them myself out of some thick aluminum stock. All my key chains have one!

Paul

I think Spruce is where I bought mine years ago Steve. Be prepared for sticker shock though - it's just a piece of plastic after all.... I wanted a couple more, and made them myself out of some thick aluminum stock. All my key chains have one!

Paul

I just use the key to my door at work. Nothing extra on the keychain and nothing outta pocket.

I use a "stubby" 3/8 combo open-end / box end wrench from Sears. The polished chrome open-end works great on Van's fuel filler caps. The closed box end makes for a nice chain attachment.

Installed the Andair lockable fuel caps which open and close without having to apply any brutal force :)

I picked up one of those anodized aluminum bottle openers (often free at trade shows) and ground off the sides a bit. Looks a bit like a claw and pops the fuel cap up easily. I used to use a piece of hardwood (popsicle stick) that I kept on the keychain.

FWIW, fuel caps should not be adjusted so tight that they are difficult to open - just tight enough to keep the fuel in.

greg

nothing at ACS

I don't see them at Aircraft Spruce. I searched on 'opener', 'fuel cap'

The aluminum bottle opener is a good idea, these were very similar to that. Now, where to find one of those? I'll try OSH.

Greg, thanks for the tip on the tightness of the caps. My wings were quickbuild, and the caps came installed, and I have not tried to adjust them. They do seem maybe a tad tight. I really worry about that roll pin, tempted to put a piece of drill rod in there.

I've got the plastic type opener attached to the key ring but its been so long ago, I can't remember where I got it.

24b5c3a.jpg

That's the one Rick - I just made some auminum copies of it. Easy for a builder with a scrap bin!

We use the back of a standard plastic bottle opener. I have about half a dozen work branded ones scattered around the airplane.

I use a "stubby" 3/8 combo open-end / box end wrench from Sears. The polished chrome open-end works great on Van's fuel filler caps. The closed box end makes for a nice chain attachment.

I used a 3/8" open end wrench as a template to make one out of some scrap aluminum. Took 20 minutes and works great.

Steve, the newer fuel caps come with a better pin, so you might have an ok pin depending on when you got the caps. If it's solid, it is probably the new one and won't need replaced. The old style were rolled pins.

My aluminum opener is like the gold one in Rick's photo, but with the sides shaved a bit to make it narrow like the plastic one.

greg

I picked up one of those anodized aluminum bottle openers (often free at trade shows) and ground off the sides a bit. Looks a bit like a claw and pops the fuel cap up easily. I used to use a piece of hardwood (popsicle stick) that I kept on the keychain.

FWIW, fuel caps should not be adjusted so tight that they are difficult to open - just tight enough to keep the fuel in.

greg

Heck Greg, I still have the hardwood popsicle stick you made for me on my keychain. You never told me you had upgraded...harumph! How can I keep up with the Joneses if they don't show off the stuff! :p

Now I want a cool plastic thing-a-ma-bob, like Paul and Rick, or a metal doo-hickee, like you. Think we can make one with that 3/4" phenolic plank I have laying around?

That's what I need...another project (now that the smoke is in!) ;)

Cheers,
Bob

PS: Silly post to keep up with your post count Greg...last one to 1000 is a rotten egg!

EPM.AV

I have the exact one that Rick is showing in his photo. It's the blue plastic one.

The website link I have for it is no longer working.

The nice thing about the plastic one is it does not mar the cap. If your caps are painted or polished you really appreciate that.

OK did some digging in my very thick receipt file and actually found the receipt! I'm amazed!

Anyway here is the info, hopefully they are still available:

They were $10.00 back in 2007. I think well worth it as I have polished and engraved caps.

Ted

Last edited:
No longer in business

OK, I called the company and I'm sad to say they are no longer in business.

The owner passed away in 2009 and the company closed.

I've removed the contact info from the previous post so they don't get a bunch of unnecessary calls.

Ted

when I put the fuel cap back on I rotate it 90? from what everyone else does. I did this at first because a paint chip was forming on the downstream, but later liked how I could look at the cap and know if I was the last one to check it, not the fuel truck guy.

I use the same wooden paint stir stick that I use for dipping my tanks. Always in the airplane and don't need anything extra on your key chain.

I just use a short 3 inch slot screw driver. Keep it in my fly away kit. I do it very carefully so as not to scratch the gas cap handle.

Best solution yet!

Its fun to see these old threads surface. Shortly after I asked the question and got many good ideas, I came across the best idea yet.

It happened when I got a flat tire on my road bike and pulled out one of my ultra-light weight plastic tire irons (for prying bicycle tires off of rims for those of you not in the know).

Anyway, they come in packs of three, and I have one in my bike tool box, one in my kit on my bike, and one in the airplane on the airplane ignition key for opening my tank caps. Nifty!

Old fuel cap thread

Just going to recycle this old thread and ask a question. Can you face your fuel caps backwards without ill effects? In other words... so the flip lever is to the front rather than the rear. I vent a bit of fuel sometimes from mine. New O rings on both the stems and circumference of the caps. DOW4 to lube everything. From the drivers seat, it is impossible to tell if the fuel is sneaking past the stems... or around the edge of the caps. Just thought I might fly them backwards and see what happens????
I don't think at my blinding speeds the little flipper will come up into the wind and send me spiraling to my quick demise. But, maybe I am naive.

3/8 open end wrench

velcroed to the inside of the forward bag compartment works great and does multiple duty.

Back