What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

paint Anodized spar

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to paint the interior. I have seen where others have painted the anodized area of the wing spar. My question: do you have to paint the anodized spar? Will I run a higher corrosion risk if I do not paint mine. I kind of like the look of the gold anodized spar. My thinking is the anodizing process is a good corrosion preventative. Thanks for any help in this regard. If I do need to paint it is there any special procedure to prepare an anodized part for painting?

Cheers

The anodizing is meant to provide sufficient corrosion protection for the wing spars and carry-through. Painting the visible areas, or not, would be mainly for aesthetic considerations. In any case, there will also be portions of the spars and carry-through that are not visible, and are not accessible for painting even if you wanted to. So the anodizing better be sufficient in itself.

Remember though that if something does get scratched or significantly scuffed on the anodized surface, you will need to dress it and apply some form of corrosion protection over the area (i.e. primer and/or paint).

If you do decide to paint, surface prep would depend on the paint system you use. I used Krylon Fusion rattle cans, and all I did for prep on the anodized portions was to clean the surface thoroughly with acetone. I got very good results. YMMV with other paint systems. Whatever you do, keep this in mind: I don't think you'd would want to use anything etching or do anything else that could compromise the anodized surface layer of the spars. That is still probably your most important form of corrosion protection you have on those parts.

As is the anodized spar might only last 250-300 years before corrosion becomes a factor. Perhaps a coat of paint would protect the anodizing and you could get another 100 years out of the spar.

Back