What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A Gear Leg Mount and Interfering Rivet

macrafic

Well Known Member
As you can see from the picture, the gear leg mount has had holes and slots placed strategically in order to accomodate rivets and bolt heads.

My problem is that there is one rivet interfering with the mounts ability to lie flat against the bulkhead (down near the "V" of the mount). That one rivet is right at the edge of the mount and exists on both the left and right sides of the aircraft, so it is not simply an incorrect part.

Did any of you run into this? I'm thinking I would just cut another small notch in the mount to go around the rivet. Since Van's has already done this in other places on the mount, I'm thinking it won't compromise the integrity of the mount at all. Does this make sense?

Also, once I do that, I have an area of the mount exposed that is no longer powder coated. What have you all done about this?

Thanks!

GearLegMount.jpg

Gear mount

Rich,
Grind is better than cut. Try to duplicate the notch so it's like the other shown in your picture. Watch your edge spacing at the 'V' don't grind into the weld. Dremel tool with drum sander works well here. Van's sells touchup paint on web site.
Mike H 9A/8A

mine was like that. i hit it with a round carbide bit then a drum sander as mentioned in post #2. no problems if you make a nice smooth notch for it.

Hello Rich

Done this last week, take a round file and make an additional notch, then use sand paper to make it smooth.

Vans is informed about this by builders, but it needs time to correct this.

Regards, Dominik

Thanks for the advice and confirmation! As usual, I knew I could count on the community.

Touch up

Van has small bottles of touch up paint the matchs the powder coat and even has a brush inside attached to the cap. I works and matchs. Good Luck CJ

Back