What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remove Inline Filters?

rowsley

My RV-8 (O-360, carbureted) has inline fuel filters in the wing roots as is common. My issue with them is that are too hard to access for regular inspection and the ones that are installed just have a flat folded mesh disk about the size of a quarter as the filter media. The other thing I don''t like is having to open the fuel system and repeatedly loosen/tighten the AN fittings to check/clean them. There is likely some pressure drop across these too which is not desirable, especially in hot climes.

Andair makes a better filter with an annular type mesh but it still has the other issues above.

My electric fuel pump has a 70 micron filter that is easy to access and check. It also has a large filter area.

I am considering just eliminating the wing root filters altogether. I still have the pump filter and the last chance filter at the carburetor.

What do you folks think of this idea?

Wing root filter are not common nor part of the plans, and I agree, they serve no useful purpose, what are they protecting, the selector valve?

Wing Root Filters

My Opinion: Wing Root Filters allow you to isolate the problem to a tank. If fuel pressure is reduced in flight: switch tanks to see if it is restored. Will any of your other filters allow that? It is good for a "comfort Level" to me.

Wing root filter are not common nor part of the plans, and I agree, they serve no useful purpose, what are they protecting, the selector valve?

Many inline filters were installed when tanks had slosh in them, as slosh WAS standard procedure until the early '90s.

Gascolator screen is 70 microns and carb finger screen is 120 microns. Apart from the "boulder catcher" at the fuel tank pickup tube, that's all I have. I had installed an inline filter between the fuel selector and Facet pump, but removed it as it was hard to reach. I've had no debris trapped by any filter in recent years.

We designed our root filters with something else in mind. We had heard several builders say that on inspection after previous maintenance, they found loose nuts on the lines. My thought was that some of the filters were hard to get to, therefore, perhaps the installer didnt get them tight.

The thought of placing them in a more accessable location came to mind, and that became either the wing roots, or something FWF.

Depending on how they are located, accessing from the bottom seems to work just fine.

Tom

Wing Root Filters & Comfort Level

I remember reading something about Fatalities and Lawsuits that may have been caused by a Tank Sealant blob or other goop lodging in the Lines or Valves or somewhere upstream of the pickups. I don't remember the whole story now, but it was enough to prompt me to contact TS Flightlines and order/install Wing Root Filters with ball valves in my RV10. The shut offs make it easy to service and/or replace the filters without draining down the tanks. Thanks to Tom Swearengen for the suggestions. That is the Comfort Level that I spoke of it may be a little overkill or maybe its life saving ? But so far no issues from having them.

Last edited:
Back