What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dumb question on RG400 Coax (Archer Antenna)

Reflex

Well Known Member
I'm installing an Archer antenna and the instructions on page two section 3.4 point #2 say to "Comb out the coaxial cable brand and then twist into a wire for insertion into the provided lug."

I've seen some very nice installs on many of the websites. My dumb question is:

How in the heck are you guys combing out the braided coax? Wow, this stuff is woven tightly and has two layers.

Thanks in advance

Fred

My dumb question is:
How in the heck are you guys combing out the braided coax? Wow, this stuff is woven tightly and has two layers.
Thanks in advance
Fred

I use a scribe and just do a little at a time. If you try to do too much all at once the strands will break off.

Push the braid down from the end and it will expand, then use an awl/nail/pointy-but-not-sharp tool to "comb" the braid out.

Cheers!

I just stripped enough of the covering over the braided shielding to use a solder sleeve to make a nice clean wire to the connection:

IMG_0011.jpg

Here?s a slightly different technique: Strip an inch or so of outer insulation off. Start near the outer insulation - not the end. Use your pointy but not sharp tool to move the braid apart, on one side only, making a hole in the braid. A slight bend toward the hole may loosen the braid a bit. When the hole is large enough, bend the braid/insulated inner conductor away from the hole. Push-pull the insulated inner conductor out the hole. Push the braid toward the end as you do this. When you get the free end out, you?ve got two wires (insulated inner conductor, and braid). Since the braid is relatively intact you won?t have the ?fine strands going everywhere? problem.

Many thanks. Easy peasy! Took all of 3 minutes to comb out with an awl. <smacks forehead with palm of hand>

Here?s a slightly different technique: Strip an inch or so of outer insulation off. Start near the outer insulation - not the end. Use your pointy but not sharp tool to move the braid apart, on one side only, making a hole in the braid. A slight bend toward the hole may loosen the braid a bit. When the hole is large enough, bend the braid/insulated inner conductor away from the hole. Push-pull the insulated inner conductor out the hole. Push the braid toward the end as you do this. When you get the free end out, you?ve got two wires (insulated inner conductor, and braid). Since the braid is relatively intact you won?t have the ?fine strands going everywhere? problem.
This is the method I use and it works very well for me. :cool:

Back