What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO360 valve lift

NDrv8r

Well Known Member
Hey engine gurus.

I can't seem to find the valve lift data in my SSP1776 table of limits. Can anyone supply me with lift at the valve (intake and exhaust) on an IO360 A1B6 angle valve? I am also interested in parallel valve data.

I am building a flow bench and am interested in anyones experience porting the Lycoming cylinders. Particularly flows at 28" differential before and after porting.

The intake ports have a nasty sharp corner on the small radius of the intake port. I realize there is not much that can be done with the port, but how much difference is gained by smoothing the sharp corner?

Cam lift

Your -A1B6 uses the LW-11754/LW-18840 assembly camshaft which has .350" lift on both the intake and exhaust lobes.
Yes, blending/smoothing the sharp edge where the seat boss transitions into the floor of the intake and exhaust ports makes a difference; moreso than trying to enlargen the port size itself.

hope this helps. Grub

cam lift

Thanks for the info on the cam lift. Do you know what the valve lift is?

looks like the parallel valve rockers are 1.28 ratio....

What is the source of the info you quote? I'm not challenging it, just curious where it comes from? What is the rocker arm ratio for the angle valve engines? I thought I had that info, but can not seem to find it now.
Charlie

I can measure the lift on one of my engines with a dial indicator however I have custom roller rockers with special pushrods so I could get the most lift possible.

valve lift

Hi Bob,
since you have the rocker rollers, did you also get your cylinders flowed?
Once I get my flowbench up and calibrated, I would like some comparisons.

When I put my A1B6 together I smoothed out the small radius on the floor of the intake port and smoothed out the valve guide boss, but used the TLAR (that looks about right) method. As it turns out, the cylinders seem fairly well matched on the engine, but I sure would like to have flow measurements and standards for those measurements.
Larry

Back