What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-1015 countersinking

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I countersunk the wrong side of VS-1015 tonight after match drilling it to VS-1002. Is this something I should

1: Call Vans and ask if it is ok to use even though I match drilled it the other way

2: Just push forward as the holes still line up correctly

3: Re match drill to ensure the holes line up

4: Be a perfectionist and just order the replacement part

Thanks,

How will I match drill the new piece as VS-1002 is already dimpled so I can not cleco them together anymore? It is page 6-4 step 1 that I would need to redo.

thanks,

John

I vote for #4. It won't be the last time you order parts. :D

As far as match drilling, just match drill it to the old 1015. Since those are countersunk and not dimpled, they haven't stretched and will be fine....

You might even be able to make a new 1015 out of the scrap strips that Vans supplied with the kit. Give it a shot. You'll thank yourself for learning how to build some of the simpler replacement parts this early in the kit.

Phil

reverse VS-1015

Before match drilling and countersinking VS-1015 it can go on either way - correct? In other words before match drilling and countersinking you can cleco VS-1015 one of two ways because it is the same (symmetric) and there is no front and back until you match drill and countersink.

You are saying you countersunk the back side (we will now call it the back side now because when you matched drill, it was the other way around) right?

Then you are saying, when you flip VS-1015 around where the dimpled VS-1002 fits snuggly into the countersunk side of VS-1015, it does marry up fine and the matched drill holes just happen to line up perfectly, although they were originally matched drill with the VS-1015 was 180 degrees flipped.

Am I correct so far?

If so, I see no problem. Send me pictures of both pieces separately and then married up with the rivets just sitting in place or bring them to work.

Guess who this is?:cool:

avee8tor13 is a coworker of mine that talked me in to building a 10. He is 3 years in to his and it looks pretty good. I think he has posted here before.

Back