What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How in the world do you safety this?

cjensen

Well Known Member
It's shown right on the plans drawing to safety the plastic tubing for the fuel pump overflow/drain tube. But how do you do it?

10-24-08-004w.jpg

:confused:

Wrap a piece of safety wire around it twice and twist. It will act like a clamp.

Fuel Drain

It's shown right on the plans drawing to safety the plastic tubing for the fuel pump overflow/drain tube. But how do you do it?

10-24-08-004w.jpg

I went to my local Aviation Store(AutoZone) and picked up a small mixed bag of fuel hose clips. You know, the type that you slide over the hose holding the clip open with a pair of pliers. When you position it, release the pliers, no possibility of cutting the hose or working loose. Bag of 10 was $4.99.
Mike H 9A/8A

Simple

Got this from somebody. Pull the tubing off and lightly flare the end. You only need a very slight flare. Put the tubing back over and use a small zip tie. It ain't coming off!!!!

Got this from somebody. Pull the tubing off and lightly flare the end. You only need a very slight flare. Put the tubing back over and use a small zip tie. It ain't coming off!!!!

Yep, and if the clamp is a small OETIKER clamp it will never come off for sure.

Don't want to hijack this thread but exactly what does that overflow do for you? I mean what is its function and how does it work?

Just by looking at it and without taking the pump apart, it looks like some sort of relief in case the diaphram pops in the pump?

What happens if this happens? Stream all your fuel out or ?

tie wrap on mount?

I don't want to hijack anything either.... but is it "OK" to put tiewraps directly on the engine mount? My A&P uses ADEL clamps there. I asked and he said under vibration they can actually wear the mount tubes. Bogus, or real?

No criticism, just trying to learn ;)

I would call bogus...it's right outta the plans, and I can't see a plastic tie wrap wearing thru chromoly steel tubes. I see tie wraps on engine mounts all the time at work...

It is not good practise...

I would call bogus...it's right outta the plans, and I can't see a plastic tie wrap wearing thru chromoly steel tubes. I see tie wraps on engine mounts all the time at work...

...to use any ty-raps directly on steel in the engine compartment.

These Piper owners would definitely disagree with your "bogus" claim.

http://forums.piperowner.org/read/4/77290/107867/page=2

Use a wrap of good vinyl tape around the mount before attaching the ty-rap.

Use a wrap of good vinyl tape around the mount before attaching the ty-rap.

I do wonder why the plans don't point this out...

That is a much better way to do it. Though if the tie is tight, it's not gonna vibrate in to the steel.

Would UHMW tape be appropriate?

Actually not bogus. Oil and dirt will eventually wear through the tubing under a tie wrap. I've used a piece of UHMW tape in each location a tie wrap is used on my engine mount. Anyone that has tried to cut or shape UHMW knows how well it resists any kind of wear.

Not bogus,I just put adel clamps on my cessna after finding wear from tye wraps on the motor mount. the tye had worn into the metal enough to leave imprints of the little lines that are on the strap. You can see it and feel it. MY AP/IA said it is NOT a good practice. Looking at the paint removed by the tye and the imprints left by it, even I can tell this is not a good way to fasten stuff to the motor mount. Gene

Here's the deal. Tye/Tie wraps on the engine mount directly are just flatly a NO-NO. If you don't put some chafe tape of some sort under the zip tie, sooner or later it'll start wearing...I can guarantee you that.

So, whether you think it's bogus or not...you can use them on engine mount tubes - BUT do NOT do it direct on the metal. Put a layer of chafe tape under it.

Generally accepted practice by most A&P's is to either avoid zip ties on the engine mounts, or if they do they usually apply some tape under them.

My 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

Shrink Tube

An excellent way to "protect" metal (or anything else) from a tie-wrap is to put shrink tubing over the usable length on the TW before tightening. Add about 1/4" to allow for shrinkage, slip TW in shrink tube, hold at TW clamp end, heat, cool, install.
ff

10-24-08-004w.jpg

Okay, I'm not this far along in my build but getting closer, what exactly is the game here? Are we trying to keep the protective outter plastic tubing from sliding on the aluminum tubing in order to keep the aluminum tubing from rubbing against the motor mount?

Okay, I'm not this far along in my build but getting closer, what exactly is the game here? Are we trying to keep the protective outter plastic tubing from sliding on the aluminum tubing in order to keep the aluminum tubing from rubbing against the motor mount?

Yep.;) :cool:

Today I redid the tie wrap in this location with UHMW tape underneath it, and I also figured out the safety wire on the plastic tubing...

10-25-08-005w.jpg

Also, taking heed to the advice given in this thread, I removed all the tie wraps that I had on the engine mount (green arrows show where I had tie wraps), and replaced them with Adel clamps...

10-25-08-004w.jpg

Thanks all!!

:cool:

No we're trying to simply supply an overboard line in-case the diaphragm in the fuel pump tears. I would be willing to venture a guess that there must be 50 ways to dump fuel overboard.

(EDIT)

shuntwires2.jpg

shuntwires.jpg

Tie wraps are so much easier.

Last edited:
I use a clear pvc tubing on the tywrap to protect the mount. The type used in fishtanks. Just thread the wrap thru the tube and you have a non abrasive wrap. Much like shrink ,just a lot thicker.

Here's how I made this drain hose. David Domeier will recognize the hose-barb-to-flare-nut adapter and Oetiker clamps I had left over from my alternative engine days:

20080629_fittings.jpg

This is 3/16" ID automotive fuel hose, not very heavy.

20080629_hoses.jpg

Adel clamps on the engine mount, no tie wraps.

20080629_drain_hose.jpg

This is a few ounces heavier, I'm sure, but I'm happy with the result. Like Rivethead said, there a bunch of ways to do this.

cheers,
mcb

Me too.....

I had a number of wire ties holding thinks to the engine mount and then my EEA adviser (also an A&P) pointed out that they would wear through. I clipped them off and place under them a small peice of bicycle intertube.

Kent

I had a number of wire ties holding thinks to the engine mount and then my EEA adviser (also an A&P) pointed out that they would wear through. I clipped them off and place under them a small peice of bicycle intertube.

Kent

I bought a couple of rolls of the silicone tape. A couple of wraps and you're good to go. I even used it under adels.

I don't want to hijack anything either.... but is it "OK" to put tiewraps directly on the engine mount? My A&P uses ADEL clamps there. I asked and he said under vibration they can actually wear the mount tubes. Bogus, or real?

As I said in a previous post about this very subject, I've had to replace engine mounts in aircraft because of the wear caused by zipties/tywraps secured directly to the mount.

Quoting my own post:
Go here and read paragraph 11-96(b) and (o), then read paragraph 11-146, (a) and (b).

Left alone long enough, a ziptie will cut through the engine mount tubing like a saw - dirt and oil gets between the plastic & steel and acts like a wet saw. I just replaced part of an engine mount on a Bell 412 helicopter due to it being damaged beyond limits by zipties holding drainlines in place. It's been just about a year since this aircraft had last been in to see us (it's in for an annual); there were no zipties on the engine mounts when it last left us.

Back