What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chicago area

I’ve heard O’Hare is pretty friendly.

No wait! Sorry, I was hallucinating. ORD is nasty even for airline guys and the rough taxiways will destroy your wheel pants, don’t do it!

Typed as I sit here at ORD waiting to push and taxi…

If your visiting friends who like airplanes, make the drive 1-1/2 hr to C77 just east of Rockford. 2 grass runways and a paved one. About 450 airplanes are based there literally from Jenny to jets. Depending on the day, you may want more than a day at the airport.

I have been into UGN. Signature used to be the bad guy, but even they have self serve fuel now that is "area reasonable". Call an see what they want to park, remember that their business model is jet services. I believe there is a club on the field that you may be able to tie down at.

GYY - I haven't been there, but other forums have said that is a good place and take the train into the city....

No approaches at Schaumburg, but otherwise easy access. 1 Mile from Metra trains, but they go downtown and would need to hop the El to get to wrigley area. Drive time to wrigley about the same as Exec. Dupage is friendly with reasonable gas and only $7 overnight fee. Don't know fees at Executive. Midway is the most convenient, but believe the fees are pretty steep these days (little GA traffic). Gary is another option. UGN is a hike imho.

Back