What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you decide?

Secondwind

Some questions for the good folks on the forum.

1. What other aircraft did you consider before deciding to go with Vans?

2. What was your ultimate deciding factor to go with Vans?

3. How did you decide on which model to build/buy?

4. If you had it to do over again with your knowledge now (yes I know there are a lot of repeat offenders on here) would there be anything you would do differently?

I actually started building a Sonex because I didn't think I could afford an RV.

From previous experience (helped my dad build his RV-6, and I have flown it a bunch) I knew I wanted an RV. Realizing that the actual cost difference would wind up being smaller than I expected was what got me to change course.

I really wanted a -4; practicality said an -8. Wife said "if you want me to fly with you then I'm sitting next to you". That dictated side-by-side.
I wanted aerobatic capability, ruling out a -9. The -14 was available but the extra cost was an obstacle. No good deals on partial -6 kits at the time, so I picked up a completed -7 tail and ordered my wings.

4. If you had it to do over again with your knowledge now (yes I know there are a lot of repeat offenders on here) would there be anything you would do differently?
With the disclaimer that I'm not done yet:
  • Buy a house with a two-car garage (not a one-car) so I wouldn't have been tempted to spend 10 months and a lot of money building a workshop.
  • Start saving up and building earlier.
  • Not waste a couple months trying to design a center console with throttle quadrant (I eventually abandoned those plans).

1. Looked at Mustang II, Thorp, Velocity, GlasStar and others.
2. Loved the look. Great flight performance. Best support by far. Ease of selling at some point. Decided I wanted a metal plane.
3. Wanted the 8. Wife wanted to sit beside me. Good deal on a partially built 7. No regrets, but looking for an 8 kit someone has given up on...need something to do.
4. Would have searched out local builders for their ideas, suggestions and help early in the build instead of late. Would have built the 8...she still doesn't fly with me much :rolleyes:

1. Kolb Mk III Xtra.

2. VAF plus the annoyingly poor Xtra plans.

3. I wanted more of a project than a useful airplane and already had a fine multi-seat plane that I could use to carry passengers.

4. Yup.

Dave

None, really. I saw/sat in a RV-4 as a teenager and wanted one from that day forward. [/B]

See above, but also living in the Portland area with a great local support, plus VAF of course!

Wanted a 4 when I was younger, flew with Van in the 8 and was set on one, but then the practical part of me chose a 7A since not many people really want to stare at the back of your head

4. If you had it to do over again with your knowledge now (yes I know there are a lot of repeat offenders on here) would there be anything you would do differently?[/QUOTE]

I'd have been more consistent in my build. Some of this was work/life related for me, but having to recall where you left off and get up to speed after even relatively short breaks can eat up a lot of valuable build time.

Last edited:

1. I wanted a good cross-country airplane and a capable aerobat. There were none better. In production airplanes the two missions are mutually exclusive. I considered the Harmon Rocket II, but as a first time builder I didn't't want to get into modifying a kit. I also considered a Giles 202, but the kit was 3 x the price of the RV-8 kit and not nearly as comprehensive. The -8 is a better cross country platform.

2. Kind of answered it above but also, even in the mid-nineties the Vans were proven and tried and true. The factory tour sealed the deal. It was a real company, with real employees, and staying power.

3. Centerline seating was a must for me. My wife is a passenger. She has no interest in the cockpit stuff. She has more room to herself in the back seat. She likes the foot massages. The extra baggage area offers a lot of flexibility.

4. I would have put a flop tube in both tanks and not just the left. It's not fun when you push up to a 45* inverted line and you are reminded that you forgot to switch tanks before starting your aerobatic sequence.:)

I considered a Sonex and a Velocity as well.

The Sonex and their cowls make them look like toys and quite honestly don't look good to me except for the SubSonex. The velocitys look great but I didn't want that much fiberglass. Builder support and VAF also played a huge role in deciding on a Van's. Another big factor was the performance, I didn't want to simply buy a 172 or something like that as I usually fly at high density altitudes and am virtually surrounded by mountains.

I first considered the RV-12 until BasicMed came out which was right when I was deciding on a kit. I considered the RV-9A as my mission is going from A to B quickley for burger runs and the occasionally shopping trip. The RV-7A is faster than the -9A which is what made me decide on the -7A. Aerobatics is just a bonus. I really wanted the -10 but figured I should build, fly and sell one before making that happen.

Not really, I have enjoyed building and am finally getting somewhat close to first flight. I will build the -10 next so I sometimes wonder if I should have just started with that.

RV7a

I always wanted to build. Research pointed to Vans as the most popular and best performance. I wanted a big community.
Community. Builders need builders. My Mentor is such an awesome resource. VAF, and Facebook forums are invaluable.
That was easy. I wanted aerobatic capability and a cross country machine. Sweeie said, "Build anything you want as long as I sit beside you and thhe little wheel is in front." That sealed the deal. 7A. To be fair, she sat in several
and I flew with friends to be sure we made a good decision.

I would have started younger.

Clipped wing Taylorcraft
I owned a RV-3 and like it a lot.
Center line seat was a must. 4 was too small for travel.

Nothing, very happy with my -8.

1. Didn't really consider any other aircraft to build, though I did toy with the idea of buying an old 172 or Warrior (only really briefly).
2. So many of them flying, very comprehensive factory and aftermarket support, and I met a guy years ago who lived near the in-laws with an RV.
3. I'm a low time pilot, and not really into aerobatics, so I considered the -9,-10, & -12. An RV-10 was too expensive for me, an RV-12 looked attractive on price, though I chose a -9 for the better performance but still got decent low speed handling.
4. Only about half-way through the first build, but no there isn't much I'd change as I viewed this all along as a huge learning experience that will result in a flying aircraft that I built.

1. I considered many different makes/models, but they all were too new/untested, to cramped on the inside (I’m 6’7”), or us some other undesirable quality. The RV lineup has it all.
2. This is going to sound not well thought out, but I saw an RV-6 do an 8 point roll over a local fly-in and wanted one so bad. I thought RVs were outside of my budget, but that same week I landed on an opportunity to make much more by working out of the country for a while.
3. The -8 is advertised by Van’s as a big persons airplane. I went to the factory and sat in the 7 and 8 (well 8A) both. The 7 was tight, the 8 was comfortable. I was single at the time, so tandem vs. SBS wasn’t too much of an issue, and I greedily wanted centerline seating anyway.
4. I’m still building, so I can’t say. Happy with how it’s going as is. I have an ultralight an can rent airplanes to get my fix of flying while building, and I’d recommend that, as is eases the pressure to finish, so you can enjoy the journey. The only thing I could say is if you think you can’t afford an RV, think again, find a way, it really isn’t that expensive when drawn out over several years.

1. Lancair and Thorpe T-18. (Lancair was too small cockpit.)

2. RV-6 cost less and landed slower than T-18.

3. Side-By-Side. RV-6 was only model that was side by side RV back in the mid-1980s.

4. Use largest engine recommended by Van's aircraft. (I already was getting a Constant Speed prop based on friends with RVs.)

I wanted something very similar to the aircraft I trained in, a Diamond DA-20 Eclipse. The RV-9A checked many of those boxes.

--low wing
--side-by-side seating
--trike gear with free castering nose wheel
--stick control

Other things about the -9A that clinched it:

--aesthetics...high-aspect wing looks better to my eye than shorter wings
--efficient Roncz airfoil
--low stall speed
--slider canopy (can be built as tip-up too)
--roomy...I'm 6'2", 200 lb. and I fit easily

My 9 is aircraft number 34 for me. So I’ve had my share of some very cool stuff. We sold our charter airline that was based in Central America and decided to come back to the US. Sold our business lock stock and barrel. And none of the aircraft we had interested me for an airplane in my retirement.
A client of ours who built an RV7A and is one of the Vans transition instructors kept telling me about RV’s. I really wanted a Marchetti SF260. But the thought of being able to do work myself was very interesting.
I’m a flyer, not a builder. Had Vic do a pre buy for me on a 7A and a 6A. Neither one worked out. Then this 9 became available. Bought it sight unseen and could not be happier.
No better bang for the buck than an RV. 175 knots, 9 gph. Can’t beat that.

Back in 1999 when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on my first kit, I was torn in a few directions. I liked the look of the Lancairs, but couldn't afford them. I was also intrigued by the Berkut, but was completely blown off by a very rude Dave Ronneberg at SnF.

I'd known a guy who built an RV-4 and I absolutely loved the relatively new RV-8. Everyone I met at Van's SnF tent and dinner that year was friendly and encouraging. I was also very pleased with the online community (the good, old RV-List) and availability of advice.

That was the easiest part. I wanted a tandem, tailwheel airplane and was already excited by the RV-8.

Well, knowing just how much my wife (a nervous flier at the best of times) hated sitting in back, I knew that I'd build a side-by-side this time around. She also asked me to do a nosewheel airplane, as she was more confident of being able to land it in an emergency. I never cared for any of Van's earlier nose gear designs, but liked the larger size and improved nose gear design of the RV-14A, so that's what I built the second time around.

I definitely have other kits to which I'm attracted should I go back for round three. The SubSonex and the OneDesign are the top contenders. Obviously, they're very different airplanes for completely different missions, but I like them both. I've previously built the wings of a Model 12 Pitts, but sold that kit before finishing the project. That would be another possibility for me. I've always been intrigued by the Thunder Mustang, but it's out of production and, at that price, I'd be thinking seriously of just going for an original. Yeah, it's more money yet, but the value proposition is better.

Honestly, I'm kind of "built" out at this point and am thinking about non-experimentals for the first time in many years. I'm really attracted to the L-39, but the operating costs are astronomical. A T-6 would also float my boat in many ways. Who knows what's next?

OK, I just realized that I've blathered on for a far longer answer than the OP probably wanted. Sorry about that. :)

No worries Ken. These are exactly the answers I've been looking for.

For a long time I have looked at the Mustang II. Unfortunately even though it has been around for nearly 40 years it doesn't seem to have that big of a following and resale values seem to be about what the kit costs if not slightly less. I like the side by side seating of the 7 and 9. I like the airbatic capabilities of the 7 and the economy of the 9. Not sure how much or if I would really do any airbatics. However I also like the inline seating and fighter like feel of the 8. I guess I need to discuss it a little more with she who must be obeyed and see how much she would actually fly with me and what she would prefer.

Please keep the answers coming.

Back