What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Retro fitting Grove Gear

Doug94

Well Known Member
I have the standard Vans flat gear legs on my 8, and with an ongoing interest to constantly upgrade, I am interested in installing Grove gear legs. Have anyone done this and what (if any) modifications would I need to make to the standard holes / brackets that are already drilled?

This is one more thing I wish I had the funds for when doing the initial build...

Cheers!

Doug

I recently finished the initial install of my Grove airfoil gear. I am going to guess their non-airfoil gear is similar but I don't know that for certain. I think the only thing different is the inner and outer saddles. The wear plates are the stock pieces.
You will need to open up the lower skin around the new larger Grove outer saddle. Nothing drastic, about 3/8" out from each side of the opening.
IMG_3930_zpsbsdapt5u.jpg

You will probably need to modify or start over new with upper intersection fairings because the outer saddle sits well proud of the skin.
IMG_3934_zpssgenaw7j.jpg

You will need to modify or make new close out panels because the saddle/gear will interfere with the wrap around portion of the stock close out panel.
Because I am going to use the JDAir fuel vents I elected to make new close out panels so I could move the vent about 1" inboard.
IMG_4236_zpsacdt5p3s.jpg

The big fun will be connecting to the new internal brake lines.
This is my proof of concept piece and I think I will go with something like this except the real piece will have a bit more clearance from bolt heads and gear legs and probably some sort of anti-chafe protection too.
There are several ways to do this including swapping the cockpit brake and fuel vent outlets. It will be something for you to decide what works best for you.
IMG_4239_zpsyexrsnog.jpg

Note the correct use of jankey hardware store bolts for test fitting.
The real close tolerance hardware is still in bags until this stuff goes on for real.

worth it?

I have the grove gear on my not yet flying -8 and yes, they look great and weigh less. I have to say if I was already flying with the standard gear I would not waste the time trying to retrofit the gear. When I installed mine the fuselage was upside down - I guess that would not be so easy on a flying RV8.

Replace the battery with a lifepo4 and you will save almost the same weight. And if you have a belly like most of us, you could probably lose the rest by cutting back for a few weeks. :D

Back