What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who is interested in a parachute group buy?

Would you be interested in a parachute group buy?

• Yes, if I could get at least 10% off retail.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Yes, but only if I could get 15% off retail.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Yes, but only if I could get 20% or more off retail.

Votes: 50 69.4%
  • Not interested.

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Last month I took a poll to see who might be interested in an aerobatic clinic and the results were very positive. Forty-nine indicated they were interested and already own a parachute. Eighty-three were interested but didn't own a chute. Another thirty-two were interested but wanted to know more about it.

I think there is enough interest so I intend to contact some parachute dealers and see if they would be interested in a group buy. I will need to have some idea of the number of pilots who would be interested in such a program before I contact dealers, thus the poll.

Please note that aerobatic instruction is necessarily a one-on-one experience so a clinic would be limited by the number of qualified instructors available. While most of our formation clinics can handle 35-40 participants, an aerobatic clinic would likely accommodate something like 10-12 students. With that in mind, the selection process would likely be very selective. Having your own parachute would go a long way toward exhibiting your commitment to RV aerobatics. (Just sayin'...:rolleyes:)

I flew with a Mini Softie parachute yesterday. My own chute is a seat pack and I kinda like the feel of the Sofie back pack. Very comfortable!

I may have a lead on a supplier of Softies. Stay tuned...

Hey Smokey,

I visited and toured a local parachute shop a couple weeks ago and would with confidence do business with this guy.

The canopies he puts in his rigs are the same manufacture and type as Softie's, he and Softie manufacture the containers only, as I understand. But he will save me a few hundred dollars on two complete rigs.

I still need to try one of his back styles while I sit/fly so he can make adjustments as needed.

I am not affiliated with Jerry...

Jerry Baumchen
Email) [email protected]

Quote from Jerry: I have been a parachute rigger since 1965 and a Master Parachute Rigger since 1971.
If you might ever be in the market for a couple of new parachute systems, get in touch as I manufacture them under my AeroSports USA company.

Last edited:
Cross your fingers...

Had a great conversation with a major parachute dealer yesterday. He is anxious to become the only parachute dealer to advertise on VAF and will be offering substantial discounts to VAF members on the parachute of your choice. Stay tuned!

Parachute group buy

I'm most familiar with the softie type, I'd be interested in hearing the proposal

Love the idea. I hope it happens. I'm currently looking for a seat type chute and having some "sticker shock" on the retail prices.

I may be interested in more than one chute. Any update, Smokey? @ronschreck We truly appreciate you doing the leg work on this. :)

I'm in a tip-up

so if things go south, I guess I'm along for the ride.

Waiting on the group buy for det cord or explosive bolts - the only way I can see egressing a tip-up RV in flight. :(

I guess I will have to learn acro in someone else's plane. One day...

-Stormy

so if things go south, I guess I'm along for the ride.

Waiting on the group buy for det cord or explosive bolts - the only way I can see egressing a tip-up RV in flight. :(

I guess I will have to learn acro in someone else's plane. One day...

-Stormy

There was a recent thread concerning ejection seats and someone had a nifty idea for a helmet mounted canopy breaker. Look into that Stormy. :rolleyes:

Back