What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended install options for RV-10

Aiki_Aviator

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am currently at the "sorting point" in the build :eek: .... just before the floors go down, and I was after some feedback on a number of items and their effectiveness/relevance/importance before I purchase/install.

I know this is a big set of questions, however, I am presently going mad; I require some experienced builders/flyers comments to help me clarify.

The items I am looking at and require feedback on are the following:

1. Andair Fuel Value
2. Matco wheel replacement/machining
3. Axle extension and front axle
4. Flap positioning system
5. Safety trim
6. RV-10 Flap Trim Control w/trim compensation
7. FT-60 or Flow scan (being used hopefully with AFS systems)
8. Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter unit
9. Aileron trim system
10. Additional Conduit under seating Best "structural" options for IFR aircraft
a) Through rear wing spar in cabin to tail ( e.g. http://www.etigerrr.com/Fuselage/section_33__baggage_areaP33_4thruP33_6.htm)
b) Through seat ribs to tail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRUrF2vtMI
c) Or enlarging the existing holes for the electrical runs
11. Additional door latching systems ( eg. http://www.planearound.com/
12. Aerial placements strengths and weaknesses or no troubles.
13. Brake and fuel lines, requiring replacement or good as is?

I appreciate all and any commentary as this is the point I feel will probably help the rest of the build move with a good deal of consistency and momentum.

I guess I like to see if I can get it all addressed in one swoop rather than trying on lots and lots of single questions. Hopefully this will be of benefit to others also. :)

Thanks to all in advance.

Last edited:
My choices

I'll answer what I can about my install. This is of course what worked for me and my opinion only, but maybe it will help. I am just beyond my phase 1, so there are some other guys with more time on their planes that should chime in as well.

1) Andair fuel valve- Love it. Positive detents, very minimal changes to the plans to install, nad a very clean look to it.
4 and 6) Flap position system- I have it and am enjoying it. It does add some complexity to the wiring and the fly-off as you now have to program pre-sets (although it isn't too tough) but with the FPS plus there is also some additional programming with the elevator trim. Still a good product that I am enjoying.
8) Andair fuel pump/filter. Not sure what there really is to offer here. But I did but in an access panel on the center console (stolen from Deems and whomever he may have stolen it from if it wasn't his idea) to access it for maintenance.
9) I have the standard electric aileron trim that came with the kit and it works just fine. Now that I am out and about in the free world I rarely find myself without the autopilot on, but the standard trim will hold heading fairly well even with a moderate fuel imbalance.
10) I ran a conduit through both wings to the root and I ran 2 lines of conduit on the left side through the sidewaal, under the rear seats, and into the tailcone, and one on the right side for the high power wires. This has worked well for me and I am getting no interference from the electrons passing through the wires.
11) I have the system from Sean at Planearound. Love it. Easy to install and there is no doubt the door is closed.
13) I replaced the external hard brake lines with flexible lines from Jan at RvBits. They are the right length and were a drop in replacement. Some guys have no issues with the hard lines, it is just a personal preference.

Hopefully this helps a little. I only mentioned the items I have some experience with or something to offer, but maybe it will help clear the fog of the build, especially as some of the other, higher time guys chime in.

Eric

Fab an access plate

Van doesn't provide any access to the fuel filter in the tunnel, so an access plate on the side is a good idea.

Best,

Hi All,
The items I am looking at and require feedback on are the following:

1. Andair Fuel Value
2. Matco wheel replacement/machining
3. Axle extension and front axle
4. Flap positioning system
5. Safety trim
6. RV-10 Flap Trim Control w/trim compensation
7. FT-60 or Flow scan (being used hopefully with AFS systems)
8. Fuel Pump and Fuel Filter unit
9. Aileron trim system
10. Additional Conduit under seating Best "structural" options for IFR aircraft
a) Through rear wing spar in cabin to tail ( e.g. http://www.etigerrr.com/Fuselage/section_33__baggage_areaP33_4thruP33_6.htm)
b) Through seat ribs to tail (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saRUrF2vtMI
c) Or enlarging the existing holes for the electrical runs
11. Additional door latching systems ( eg. http://www.planearound.com/
12. Aerial placements strengths and weaknesses or no troubles.
13. Brake and fuel lines, requiring replacement or good as is?

You've got a pretty good list already, you may also want to take a look at:

parking brake
rear naca vents w/ control valve
mcmaster carr door seals
planearound door struts attach bracket
planearound wheel fairing bracket
planearound door pins and aluminum guides

You can see how I installed these and those off your list on my kitlog site.

You'll want some type of speed control for your flaps. There are many ways to obtain that. You can go with something like the FPS Plus from aircraftextras or it's included in the VP-X from Vertical Power. The VP-X also makes your wiring go easier as well as eliminates all the real estate on the panel for breakers.

The red cube is provided in the Advanced Flight sensor kit, so you don't have to worry about that.

The fulel pump and filter you can ge the AFP models from Van's (I installed these) or the Andair ones.

I purchased brake lines from Bonaco and fuel lines from TSFLightlines. If I was doing it again, I would order them all from TSFlightlines. Bonaco's lines were excellent quality, but Tom at TSFlightlines was much easier to work with.

If you plan your conduit runs before you rivet the ribs to the floor skin, it will be easier to cut the holes in the ribs. I did it afterwards with a greeless punch and it was a little awkward. I have a 1.25" and two .75" conduits on each side going to the rear. Plenty of spare room and I can keep all the power wiring separate from the data wiring.

These may seem like an overwhelming number of decisions to make. Just walk down the list and determine what's best for your build and move on to the next item. This is just the beginning, there are many more lists like this that you'll have to make decisions on going forward.

Use the "search" option

you will find most all of this discussed in detail.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, how long you want to build and what is most important for you.

Some of my deviations or options were Matco axle(great), Matco nose wheel with valve cutout on other half(not needed-just grind the other half as the stem exits the center of the tube and will interfere with either one), Sean's latch kit(great), Show Planes flap pos sys from Van's(okay-when it breaks I will just install std flap switch), main whl axle extensions(great), oil cooler damper for cold wx flying(can't comment yet), Crow harnesses(like the camlock release), slick start(can't comment yet), 1/4" step bolts(they will still probably crack due to thin metal tubing/imperfect welds). I used fuse blocks on the sub panel for main, ebus, bat bus(quick, inexpensive and lightweight), painted interior(quick, lightweight, inexpensive, easy to clean, less to burn), cloth seats/rear foams- fab locally($650, lightweight).

Forgot...5052 fuel/brake lines, bonaco ss hoses at gear legs and master cyl., and Van's aileron trim.

Last edited:
Looks like a god list.

One thing I would like to caution you on, be sure to use a snap bushing, or for larger holes, caterpillar grommet to protect the conduit from the bare edges of any pass through.

I "borrowed" a shot from one of the sites you linked, note the conduit is not protected at all in the above mentioned areas.

RV10Fuselage201373.jpg

You always want to protect hoses, hard lines, wiring, or conduits etc when passing through sheet metal.

Back