What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Tube Installation

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am about ready to install my Dynon heated pitot and I am looking for some advice as to the location. My current plan is to locate it at the same station as the stock pitot is installed, which is just inside the bellcrank. I plan on mounting the heat controller in the wing, so I need access to both the pitot lines and the controller. My other location would be the next compartment just outside of the bellcrank. Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Bill

I mounted my Gretz in the same area as the stock location and placed my control module on the inside face of the wing access cover in the outboard bay next to it.

pitot

I installed a Gretz heated pitot in the location specified in the plans and have had no issues as of yet.

Eric Kallio
N518RV... Flying

Here's where I put my Dynon pitot in my -10:
http://kochman.net/N819K/?p=80

I put it inboard of the tiedown, thinking I didn't want the rope or chain to interfere with the pitot. In retrospect, I don't think it really matters, and in putting it where I did, you need to take care to ensure the tubes and wires remain clear of the aileron pushrod.

-Rob

I put mine in the bay just outboard of the tiedown because it was easier access but I hope I won't regret it.

Thanks for all the input. I too am concerned about it being to close to the tie down ring. I'm going to take a better look and going inside of the tie down two rib over.

Bay outboard of the access panel with the heater control mounted on the inside of the panel.

I installed my Dynon heated probe inside the bellcrank. Only problem is getting to the fittings. I ended up putting a small access plate behind the probe so I could get my hands in easier.
If I were doing it again, I would put it outside of the bellcrank.
John

Use the inspection cover outboard of the tie down ring, it makes it far easier to do up the fittings, wiring etc when you can remove 8 screws or whatever and then remove the complete pitot etc.

If you ever have a leak or a need to remove the pitot to eject a bug that manages to fly up the hole (yes it happened) you will find it much easier when its mounted this way.

DB :cool:

Well I mounted the Pitot one rib inboard of the bellcrank. I was concerned about the tie downs getting tangled if they came loose or if some line boy was not careful. It's easy to run the lines out of the way of the aileron torque tube. I mounted the controller on the observation panel over the bellcrank.
Thanks for all the input.
Bill

Back