What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Newest RV-10 in the world!!!!

azcloudflyer

I can claim that title until at least until the next one is built!

After 1,150 days in the man cave, he emerges with flying machine.

First flight was this past Friday, April 15. Then second flight Saturday and third on Sunday. Wow, what fun! I have a lot to learn about GRT EFIS and EIS.

Thanks to everyone that participates on this group. It has been a great resource.

Mike Andresen
www.azcloudflyer.com

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0830.jpg

Congrats

I have been following your progress since your first rivet. Can't wait to see the picture of the first flight with the other choice from your home page. Seriously, its been great fun following your progress through the years.

Aww. I wish I'd known; I'd have come down to witness. Congratulations; when I looked at it earlier this year it was beautiful and I'm sure it flew that way.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see yet another 10 take to the air.

When you get all the GRT/EIS stuff figured out, let me know, I am still trying to do the same.

Are you having any luck with the autopilot ??

No major squalks. I removed the cowl after each flight and everything on the engine is fine. I put a lot of time into flap/aileron/wingtip rigging and it flew true.

A minor squalk is that my ampmeter reading is bouncing a little bit but the bus voltage is steady. I think that the sensor ring might be bouncing or has a loose connection. Ugh - that means I have to look under the panel.

I found that the fuel senders need to be calibrated with the airplane leveled if you want the in flight reading to be accurate. The readout changes a bit from flight attitude to just sitting on the ground.

Regarding autopilot: first two flights had AP circuit breaker pulled. Third flight it was powered and when engaged the airplane went nose high. Time to read the manual :). I must admit I didn't spend much time reading up on the AP.

The GRT EFISs talk to each other and to the EIS. They see the SL-40 and the GNS-430W. So far I can do a direct to but can't figure out how to turn the OBS on the electronic HSI. The synthetic vision is awesome.

It's quite a transition from rivet pounding mechanic to computer system integrator.

I can't wait to be finished with engine break-in so I can start maneuvering flight and taking data on the aerodynamics of the airplane.

Mike

Congrats!

Looks like a sweet ride! Thanks for posting your pics. They inspire all of us out there building away. Be sure to post more as your test flying progresses and of course the "Finished Paint Pics!"

A minor squalk is that my ampmeter reading is bouncing a little bit but the bus voltage is steady. I think that the sensor ring might be bouncing or has a loose connection.

Mike

Wine bottle cork. Little work with a knife, and voila...

SUNP0012.jpg

SUNP0010.jpg

SUNP0010.jpg

Congrats

COngrats on the flight. I put mine in paint 2 weeks ago after finishing phase one and am already getting some withdrawls. Like Mike, I am still working integration of all of the avionics. After 30 hours of flying I have really only tested about half of my avionics functions. It is amazing how fast the pahse one goes. Enjoy it.

Eric Kallio

looking at data

Mike,
I was looking at your drag polar for -3 Flap. This I think is the one you would be using most for cruise so may be worth doing some work on. I noticed the inflection point right where the slope should be at zero. Curious why that is. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile doing some oil flow testing at the wing root junction to see if this -3 flap is causing some separation of flow. Seems this might help cruise.
I enjoy reading your build and following along with your flight test. thanks for the writing.

I noticed that too. The data is only from two test runs and has not been curve fitted so it is very preliminary. Another factor may be in how the EFIS computes the % power. It is doing a table interpolation. I found errors at power settings below 30% and have corrected them. I'll post to this newsgroup when I am more confident in the data.

Back