What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight Video

Great video. Congratulations. I have 30 hours and still have the grin.

Eric Kallio
N518RV... Phase 1 complete

Congrats Sean!

Now you just need to finish the interior and send me some photos for the web site.....

I know I won't be finished by Oshkosh, but I'm hoping I'll get mine up early this fall. These videos greatly help with the inspiration to keeping working. Now if it would only get a little warmer so I can knock out all this fiberglass work.

bob

Nice

Congrats, great video and enjoy your new ride. Great time for a first flight, the whole summer is ahead af you.

Congrads Sean!!

Congrats Sean on your first flight!! Love the Fuzzy Dice!

I have 46 hrs on my 10 now, great plane.

Kent Wilkens
294TC RV7a;631 hrs
484TC RV10;46 hrs

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean, way to go!!!!

Good video, really interesting mix of perspectives make it outstanding.

Great control on take off, and landing------Kudos to Scott, or whoever taught you. And of course to you for learning it well.

Couple of questions------what is the lump on top of the cabin?? how did you get the interior video.

Keep on grinnin:D:D:D:D

Congrats

Very cool. Congrats on the first flight and what a great video. However, I was taught to taxi a LOT slower than that :)

Looking forward to see it in person soon.

Yippie

Sean, way to go!!!!

Good video, really interesting mix of perspectives make it outstanding.

Great control on take off, and landing------Kudos to Scott, or whoever taught you. And of course to you for learning it well.

Couple of questions------what is the lump on top of the cabin?? how did you get the interior video.

Keep on grinnin:D:D:D:D

I didn't teach Sean anything, he teaches me.

The camera is a Drift 170 HD Stealth at 720P 30 fps. I researches them all and did not find many poor reviews on the Drift. I did not know if I was going to like the LCD screen on the camera but it is great to make sure you have the shot you want. We have more footage that needs to be put into a video but I only had 20 minutes to put a video together. We took off and headed to Cabo Friday and were hoping to have Sean's plane with us. I was also hoping to have an outside mount completed before this trip but no luck. Next trip for sure.

Sean did an amazing job on his plane and I did not expect anything less than a perfect first flight.

Thanks Scott.

The camera is a Drift 170 HD Stealth at 720P 30 fps.

Mounted on the cross bar between the rear seats, I would assume???

Little step up in things from duct taping a tripod with a camera in back seat area;):D

Last edited:
Mounting

Mounted on the cross bar between the rear seats, I would assume???

Little step up in things from duct taping a tripod with a camera in back seat area;):D

Nope, I used the tripod with duct tape. Nothing fancy.
I did the same on my first flight but mine is on reels. I need to convert to digital.

Guess if it works, why mess with it???

I do remember your prior experience with this........

Here is a bit of memory lane stroll for you.

118197945-L.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Sean! Nice panel too. :)

Coincidentally, I was just putting the finishing touches on a new software feature that will allow you to use your right-side display to show a full page of engine data (or a map, etc). With luck it will be available soon to help with your Phase 1 testing.

good luck,
mcb

First FLight

Mike, The lump on the top is my napkin holder. Not really, It is the GTS800 antenna GA58. There is a monopole on the bottom for it as well.

Matt,
That sounds great. I absolutely LOVE the G3X. It was crazy that all those magical wires worked and had no problems with the system. Even more surprising I did all the wiring!!
I hope Garmin will make it possible for my G3X to display my GTS800 TAS on the GDU's. Right now it will only display on the 430W. The autopilot works flawlessly too. I bought the Garmin database bundle and the XM weather and music. Very happy with it.

Thanks
Sean

Seam, that is what I thought it was, but could not tell for sure.

Looks like a ground plane, and four coax cables for it inset in the roof???

Mike,

Yep, Four coax lines and a ground plane. The ground plane is supposed to be 18 x 18. Mine has a copper wire mesh that is 30 x 10. It's impossible to do 18 x 18 in our planes with the doors. Cirrus is doing it there too.

Great 1st flight video

Very cool - most 1st flight videos are pretty uninteresting for the viewer, but your's was a blast. Bravo on your -10!

Sean - Having the GTS 8xx talk to the G3X system is on the road map, but as it also requires a change to the software in the certified GTS box, there is an unavoidable extra time delay built in. Hang in there! Meanwhile, glad your panel is working well. Maybe you can give me a tour at OSH.

mcb

Back