What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back Seat Storage Pouch or something

I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a storage pouch for the back seater, something like on the back of an airline seat for holding a phone, sick sacs, etc. Any idea if there are any out there on the market already? Has anyone mounted something to the back of the front seat? Thanks for any advice and help! - Jeff

Consider cutting a hole in the right rear arm rest to floor cover plate. Add a bulkhead so that whatever is put in there does not get to the flap arm. Do not do this on the left side as the flap motor lives in there.

The other standard is a flat plate across the ribs forward of the right rear arm rest to floor plate. The plate I use is 6” tall made of 0.040” aluminum. I add nut plates on the forward rib, and use the same screws on the arm rest plate. You can’t do this one the left side if you have a rear throttle installed.

Carl

I'm trying to figure out a good way to put in a storage pouch for the back seater, something like on the back of an airline seat for holding a phone, sick sacs, etc. Any idea if there are any out there on the market already? Has anyone mounted something to the back of the front seat? Thanks for any advice and help! - Jeff

Check out the pockets that Bruce Eicher made:
https://www.kitplanes.com/full-inverted-pocket-system/

Making some are in my future plans

Jeff,

I made a pouch out of the same material I used for my seats. Which were made out of ?Strong Parachute pack material?.

We have pocket for a cell phone, a pocket for sick sacks and other little items like USB charger cable, etc....

I used large headed pop rivets. They are probably strong enough to use on a tank! But, my thought was to use large heads to insure the material wouldn't rip around the holes.

9 years and still looks great!

A little info on why this request. I bought the plane in July and flew it into Oshkosh with my 16 year old son. When we got to our camp site he tells me "dad, I lost my phone". No problem son, lets just look around the seats, it couldn't have gone too far. "No dad, I really lost my phone". Turns out, he had laid it across the front seat support where it meets the canopy rail. When I slid the canopy open he watched it bounce out of plane and into the grass as we hit a bump. We walked all over looking for it, and of course he had it in airplane mode so we couldn't call it and listen for the ring tone. He now has a new phone (which he was wanting anyway) and I have a project to do on the plane!

I call this the "Purse Box", but the wife is going to have to downsize...
Sized to clear the rear stick and mount to the back of the standard front seatback.
IMG-1013.jpg

the rest of the mounting hardware stowed until I'm ready to mount it:
IMG-1015.jpg

The back with the angle to clear the seatback ridges. A piece of hinge will mount to this with the mate on the seatback. The lower angle will be final fit later. Mounting via hinges allows easy removal:
IMG-1014.jpg

It was partially built with components from a mapbox kit that I am not going to use. It was a couple evenings to put together. Hope it works out and provides some additional storage for the rear seater. I'm also getting some side pockets for the the sidewall/floor area below the mid-cabin brace with my seats. I like lots of places to stash stuff and in the 8 your have to get creative. My buddy has some aluminum pockets in the canopy frame that he keeps sectionals in. Between the skirt and the vertical brace tubes. Nice use of wasted space.

Sewing is pretty easy, you know. It's a lot like airplane work. Trade the aluminum for fabric, the clecos for pins, and the rivets for thread.... and oh yeah, the rivet gun for a sewing machine.

Dave

I just bought some mesh pouches from SOE: https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/mesh-pocket. I got the big ones; 11" Wide x 6.5" Tall x 1.5" Deep, which is just about perfect for the sides of the fuse in the front, but I got two for the back too. They should be here this week. I plan to velcro them to the side walls and will post pix once I get them installed...and after I finish this dang ADS-B installation done...

Just got em and it looks like they will fit great!

Update: Installed one of them using 2" velcro industrial strength and they're not going anywhere...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CfHoeVJYrK5g-IGgDeEnRo9MUSFxBys1?usp=sharing

I just bought some mesh pouches from SOE: https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/mesh-pocket. I got the big ones; 11" Wide x 6.5" Tall x 1.5" Deep, which is just about perfect for the sides of the fuse in the front, but I got two for the back too. They should be here this week. I plan to velcro them to the side walls and will post pix once I get them installed...and after I finish this dang ADS-B installation done...

Last edited:
Search EBay for mesh storage pouches, I have several in my 8, one of them has 4 elastic straps with hooks that I secured to the rear of the front seat. Some have dble sided tape on the plastic frame, Lots of storage I have now -:).

These are great!

Yeah I have been flying them for a few days now and they are great! Hold a lot, close up tight and don't get in the way!

Bill, thanks for the info. Looks like a quick, easy way to get some storage!
Jeff

Back