What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want to see a -7 and -9

Secondwind

Hi everyone, im new here but have been thinking about building a -7 or -9 for a while now. Wondering if there is anyone around the Naples area that has a -7 or -9 or perhaps both that I could arrange a time to come and see. I have my choices narrowed down to these 2 planes but I have never seen one up close. I ultimately lean towards the -7 because I had a lot of time in a Citabria years ago and loved it. However I dont know if I have the stomach for acrobatics anymore as I have got older so I am also interested in seeing a -9.

Thanks

A 7 will probably be easier to find than a 9, as it seems most 9s, including mine, are A-models. That being said, besides the wing and tail surfaces, they are essentially the same airplane so a look at either one should give you a good idea of how it fits you. Lots of RVs here in Florida so you should be able to find several to take a look at if you don?t mind traveling just a bit. I am in Zephyrhills but I know there are several RVs in Venice as well as Punta Gorda and Fort Myers.

Chris

Fort Myers isnt really a big deal for me, its only an hour or so away. Marco is unfortunately one of those places you can't get to from here kind of things.

Your mission sounds a lot like mine. Not too interested in aerobatics anymore but want to get from A to B quickly....and if not power back and go low and slow.

Either the 7 or 9 will give you that. I did like the slower stall speed of the 9 and a little extra margin if got forbid an impact ever occurred. Lands at Piper Super Cub speeds. Fuselages are identical but the 9 uses the Roncz airfoil. Many have said it likes and performs well in the less dense elevations.

No doubt if you want a tail dragger and not interested in building yourself....a 7 will be easier to find.

Building it myself is half of the adventure. I restore classic cars for a living so i am well acquainted with fabrication, wiring, engines, and paint. I want the tailwheel because, well it just looks better to me, same reason I would build a slider over a tip-up. I would still love to be able to get upside down every once in a while but as with many things as we age I'm not sure if my body will let me anymore. Primarily the airplane would be used for the wife and I traveling as only a couple more years and the kids will be out adulting. I realize the build will take a few years for me to complete so I'm trying to think ahead to what I will want/need when the time comes. I like the idea of the -9 being able to cruise higher and still be a very fast airplane with lower power and fuel burn.

For just looking/sitting, a -6 will work, too. The fuselage is almost identical (same width) to the -7 & -9.

Mike I had thought about the 8 just for the cool factor but it comes down to the wife wouldnt be too happy stuck in the back seat.

7a in Naples

I have a 7a at Naples. My first post here so check and see if it list my contact info. Come by for a look and ride.

There are all of those at fmy the only model missing from the lineup at fmy is a 3. There is a 9 and a 9a and I believe a couple of 7's base here. Pm me and I will get you a contact number

Bob burns
n82rb

Back