What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light lenses identical?

thiggins

Well Known Member
Would I be correct in assuming the landing light lenses are interchangeable?
They would be symmetrical, correct?

I ask this because I am set up right now with only my left wing, but I’d like to go ahead and build both lenses. I think they are the same.

If you’ve got the newer wings in which Van’s has already punched the lens cutout, they should be identical. After making the left lens, I’d simply trial fit the left lens on the right wing skin cutout to verify. If you’re cutting the openings like I had to do, I wouldn’t assume a perfect match.

If you’ve got the newer wings in which Van’s has already punched the lens cutout, they should be identical. After making the left lens, I’d simply trial fit the left lens on the right wing skin cutout to verify. If you’re cutting the openings like I had to do, I wouldn’t assume a perfect match.

Yes, everything is pre-cut and pre-punched. In fact, I think the skins are exactly the same, they’re just bent/formed in opposite directions.
All of the brackets with the nut plates are exactly the same. I think I’m good to go.

Great idea to have two - for collision avoidance and also for additional amp draw to keep the B regulator from overheating on hot days. (912iS)

Scott on a slightly different note we have just assembled the lenses on our RV12IS to insert before putting on the upper skin of the wing. It has become apparent that once the lens is in it cannot be removed through the front opening due to the light mounts preventing it. Is this correct or have we missed something. From what we can work out there is no way to get into the light unit once the top skins are in place. If this is correct how do you carry out any maintenance on the light or wires once the wings are completed.

The opening certainly isn’t generous, but by flexing the lens, you should be able to remove it. I’ve had mine out for painting. Now, removing the light itself after closing the wing would be a different story. Hope I never need to try that.

Scott on a slightly different note we have just assembled the lenses on our RV12IS to insert before putting on the upper skin of the wing. It has become apparent that once the lens is in it cannot be removed through the front opening due to the light mounts preventing it. Is this correct or have we missed something. From what we can work out there is no way to get into the light unit once the top skins are in place. If this is correct how do you carry out any maintenance on the light or wires once the wings are completed.

If the lens is trimmed flush to the edge of the nutplate doubler plates, it can be removed buy sliding it laterally and then lightly squeeze and pull it out it out as you move it laterally the opposite direction.

Back